The Luschei Prize for African Poetry is currently open to African poets published during the previous calendar year.
The Luschei Prize for African Poetry, under the auspices of the African Poetry Book Fund and in partnership with the literary journal, Prairie Schooner, is an annual award of USD $1,000. Established in 2015 and named for the literary philanthropist Glenna Luschei, this Pan African Poetry Prize is the only one of its kind in the world and aims to honor and promote African poetry written in English or in translation and to recognize a significant book published each year by an African poet. Each year, a significant African writer judges the contest. Open annually from May to October to submissions from authors and publishers. Winner will be announced in early January of the following year.
The Luschei Prize for African Poetry is open to any book of original poetry, in English, published during the previous calendar year in a standard edition of a full-length collection of poetry written by any African writer. Books must be submitted in the year after their publication. (For example, books published in 2020 may be submitted for consideration between May 1st and October 1st, 2021).
Eligibility Guidelines for the Luschei Prize for African Poetry
- An “African writer” is taken to mean someone who was born in Africa, who is a national or resident of an African country, or whose parents are African.
- A standard edition is 48 pages or more in length.
- Only poetry submissions in English can be considered, but we welcome published works of translation for consideration.
- Self-published books and books published by the APBF and its African Poetry Series are ineligible.
Submission Guidelines for the Luschei Prize for African Poetry
- No entry fee is required to submit to this contest, but an entry form is required for each title submitted.
- Click to download the entry form.
- Publishers may submit as many eligible titles as they wish. The publisher should send four copies of each book to the APBF, postmarked between May 1st and October 1st.
- Uncorrected galleys (including PDF galleys) of books will be considered as long as the publication date falls within the period of eligibility.
- Please send four copies of each entry to the following address, postmarked between May 1st and October 1st:
The Glenna Luschei Poetry Prize
The African Poetry Book Fund
110 Andrews Hall
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0334
- Books will not be returned but may be donated to the African Poetry Libraries Initiative.
- Please send any questions to [email protected].
The winner is given an award of USD $1,000
Submission closes October 1st 2023.