The Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award is a contest for writers organized by the International Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation located in New York City.
Each year, The Foundation administers the Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award. The competition’s aim is to motivate non-American novice writers under the age of 30, and offer them the recognition and encouragement that might lead to a successful career in television scriptwriting.
Entrants are asked to create a completed half-hour to one-hour television drama script. The script must be submitted in English.
Eligibility for The Sir Peter Ustinov Television Scriptwriting Award
• The Applicant must be a non-U.S. citizen (non-U.S. citizens currently studying in the U.S. are eligible.)
• The Applicant must not have reached their 30th birthday as of December 31, 2022.
• The Applicant must be a minimum of 18 years of age upon completion of entry form.
• The Applicant cannot be an Employee or a relative of a staff member of the International Academy of
Television Arts & Sciences
• The Applicant must deliver an original completed DRAMA script for television (Drama Series: A
dramatic production in which theme, storyline, and main characters are presented under the same
• The script must be submitted in English.
• The script must be a minimum of a half-hour and a maximum of one-hour commercial length.
• The script should be a stand-alone or pilot script, not a random episode that is part of a series.
• Entries must be the original work of the participant.
• All Applicants must complete the entry and release forms.
• Applicants must not have had a script, or contributed any written words, to any fiction material
originally produced for and aired on television or distributed over-the-top (digitally) prior to date of
entry. This includes any credit as story editor; script supervisor; or writer assistant.
• Material that has previously been sold or is currently under option may not be submitted.
• Only one entry per scriptwriter will be accepted.
• If part of a writing team, each scriptwriter must meet all of the eligibility requirements without
o In the event that the winning script has multiple writers, only one writer must be designated to
receive the award, prize money, and trip to New York
• Previous winners of this award or any award/fellowship given by the International Academy of
Television Arts & Sciences Foundation are not eligible.
• There is no entry fee to submit a script into the competition.
• Deadline for receipt of submissions is June 29, 2022, 12:00PM noon EST.
• Your completed Entry Form and Script must be emailed to [email protected] Please include all of the following as separate documents (4 documents) attached to 1 email only (incomplete submissions will not be considered entries):
1. Signed copy of the Entry Form
2. One (1) page resume or biography of the writer(s)
3. Official proof of age (including but not limited to: Passport, Driver’s License, Photo ID…)
4. Script (including a cover page listing the title of the script, the author’s name, address, telephone
number and email)
• A version of your script including a cover page listing only the title of the script and the author’s initials
must be uploaded to the website as a PDF file. A summary of the script, totaling
no more than 250 words, but no less than 100 words, will be requested on the upload page.
• Upon receipt, all submissions are reviewed to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
The award winner receives $2,500.