The Barnhill Prize honors Anne’s generous spirit of support for all who love to read and write. Anne impacted on people with her writings.
Anne’s works were naturally compelling and that was what made them stand out. Her unlimited generosity in sharing her writing passions with the world can also never be forgotten.
Selection Process for The Anne C. Barnhill Prize for Creative Nonfiction
Editors would determine the first 10 finalist essays. Finalist essays would then be read by an outside judge; who is not part of the judging panel, to select one winning essay.
To submit for this prize, learn the best ways to write eloquently.
Eligiblity Guidelines for Barnhill Prize
- The competition is open to writers in English language, whether published or unpublished.
- Previous winners of this award are not eligible to win again or to apply for another competition under Barnhill Prize.
- Writers must be residents of North America.
- Anyone who is a current or previous student or anyone who know any of the judges of the competition personally should not apply.
- Essays should be double-spaced and have be a maximum of 3,500 words in length.
- Ensure your creative nonfiction is well edited and reflects their mission and vision.
- Essays are only accepted through their Submittable online platform.
- Please be sure essay pages are numbered and that your name is NOT on the document that is your essay.
- Before submitting, make sure to use a standard and easy-to-read font such as Times New Roman in twelve-point size.
- Essays should not have been previously published before submission, whether on online or paperback platforms.
- Authors may submit more than one essay to the competition for consideration as long as no material is duplicated between submissions. Each submission will require a separate entry fee of $10.
- Essays under consideration for this competition may be submitted elsewhere at the same time but once accepted elsewhere for publication, please withdraw your essay if it from this competition.
- The final judge of the competition would not be aware of the names or publication records of the authors.
- To apply, Visit their submittable link.
The author of the winning essay is to receive a cash award of $250. The winner has ten days to accept the award
Submissions are open from June 11 to August 12, 2023.