The Not Quite Write Prize for Flash Fiction is a challenge for writers to create an original piece of fiction based on two typical writing prompts plus one anti-prompt.
What’s an anti-prompt?
It’s a call to break a specific rule of writing. You know, those things you must never do if you hope to be a successful writer? Well, this is your chance to prove them wrong.
Eligibility for Not Quite Writing for Flash Fiction
- The contest is free to enter
- 60 hours
- 600 words only, nothing beyond.
- The competition is open to all ages and levels of ability all over the world. Parents and guardians should note, however, that entries are not censored, and young entrants may be exposed to themes and language inappropriate for their age.
- You must submit your entry using the entry form.
- The entry form will be only available within the competition window. Email entries will not be accepted. So don’t send an email!
- It is your sole responsibility to ensure they receive your entry via the entry form by the deadline.
- The entry form will ask you for some basic personal information as well as a pen name — that is if you use one. You will also have the option to briefly explain your entry, should you feel the need to do so.
- The judges will only access information entered in the Title, Entry, and Brief Explanation fields during the judging window. For this reason, you must not include any information in these fields which could reasonably identify you as the entrant. This includes characters, themes and settings that may identify a writer known to anyone working within the organization. They will exclude identifiable entries from consideration in the interests of fairness.
- The competition commences at midday 12.00pm AEST (Sydney, Australia time) Friday 14 July 2023.
- At this time, they will announce the competition criteria by email to those who have registered for email updates. They will also publish the criteria on the website.
- Entrants will have until midnight AEST on Sunday 16 July 2023 to submit a 600-word piece of original fiction in response to the given criteria.
- AUD $300 cash prize.