StepAway Magazine is an award-winning online literary magazine that is open to accepting submissions. It is a Newcastle upon Tyne based online English literary journal. It was founded in January 2011 by the British writer, researcher and literary reviewer, Darren Richard Carlaw. The journal publishes poetry and flash fiction about walking in an urban environment.
The title of the magazine StepAway, draws inspiration from Frank O’ Hara’s landmark flâneur poem, “A Step Away from Them”.
The magazine is currently accepting submissions for literature that evokes the sensory experience of walking in specific neighborhoods, districts or zones within a city. This is flânerie for the twenty-first century.
The writers of this magazine lead the readership through the streets of his or her chosen city. They do so in one thousand words or less.
Eligibility for StepAway Magazine Submissions
- There is no reading fee
- Anyone is encouraged to apply.
- It publishes writings from international writers.
- Send one story or poem at a time.
- They accept entries of 1000 words or less.
- All submissions should be contained within the body of the email.
- No attachments please.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
- Due to the volume of submissions received by the magazine, they only respond to those that they accept.
- They aim to notify authors of successful submissions within 28 days.
- StepAway Magazine editors accept/reject on a rolling basis.
- Writers should submit no more than once a month. The author retains all rights to a piece of work accepted by StepAway Magazine.
- Submissions that do not adhere to the submission criteria will be deleted and will not receive a response.
- Make sure your work is properly edited before sending it out.
- After reading the above, please submit your work along with a short, press ready biography to: [email protected]
StepAway Magazine is a nonprofit organization, edited and maintained by volunteers.