The Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS) invites applications for its Eight Writing Semester, which will run from 1 February to 31 May 2024.
Fellowships are open to any area of expertise, comprising novelists writing in indigenous languages. Earlier fellowships have incorporated academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers, and correspondents.
Each Writing Fellow focuses on her/his project while benefiting from interacting with other Writing Fellows and from the community of scholars and writers from the universities in Johannesburg and Gauteng in general.
Each Writing Fellow Will Recieve:
- Accommodation in their private residential suites at JIAS.
- Daily meals.
- An intensive and immersive creative experience.
- Mentorship from an established and accomplished writer.
- Access to the facilities of the nearby University of Johannesburg.
- A monthly stipend which will be taxable.
Eligibility For Johannesburg Institute For Advanced Study
- The JIAS Writers’ Workshop is open to African writers who work in Fiction (long and short form), Creative Non-Fiction, Playwriting, Screenwriting, and Poetry.
- Workshop participants will be mentored by accomplished, critically acclaimed, and award-winning writers.
- This is a great opportunity for novice writers to learn from established writers who are masters of their craft.
- Participants in the workshop will also be able to take advantage of and benefit from the vitality and diversity that a dynamic city like Johannesburg has to offer.
- Fellowships are open to any field of expertise, including novelists writing in indigenous languages. Previous fellows have included academics, novelists, scientists, poets, playwrights, independent researchers and journalists.
To apply, please submit a two-page proposal and a comprehensive CV on https://jias.joburg/2024-writing-fellowship-application/
Please note that if successful, they urge that you keep your scholarly commitments outside of JIAS to a minimum.
Please note that reference letters should not be submitted by applicants themselves and incomplete applications will not be considered.
26th September, 2023.
For more information about JIAS, see www.jias.joburg.