Indiana Review is currently accepting entries in fiction, non-fiction and poetry for their new Issue.
Indiana Review is a non-profit literary magazine founded in 1976 that is dedicated to showcasing the talents of emerging and established writers. Their mission is to offer the highest quality writing within a wide aesthetic. Works by contributors to IR have been awarded the Pushcart Prize and reprinted in The Pushcart Prize Anthology: Best of the Small Presses, as well as in Best American Short Stories, Best American Poetry, Best American Nonrequired Reading, and The O. Henry Prize Stories. They are recognized as one of the top 15 most challenging fiction markets by Duotrope.
Submissions Guidelines for Indiana Review
- There is a $3.00 reading fee for General Submissions.
- Black and/or Indigenous writers may submit for free.
- If their submission fee presents a hardship to you for any reason, email them at [email protected] to request a fee waiver.
- Please submit on their Submittable, which is available on their website.
- However, if you are unable to do so for any reason, you may mail your manuscript to their office.
- Cover letters are not required, but be sure to let them know the genre of your submission.
- All mailed submissions should include a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a check with the applicable submission fee (made out to Indiana University).
- Please note that response times for mailed submissions will be considerably slower than for online submissions. They welcome submissions from incarcerated writers.
- They do not accept unsolicited email submissions.
Simultaneous submissions are welcome. However, you must withdraw your piece ASAP if your work has been accepted elsewhere.
Fiction & Nonfiction:
They consider prose of up to 6,000 words in length.
Indiana Review prefers .docx files that are double-spaced in 12-point Times New Roman with numbered pages.
Up to three pieces of flash prose (<1,000 words) may be included in a single document.
Send 3-6 poems per submission, up to 12 pages in total.
Please include all poems in a single file.
- IR cannot consider work from anyone currently or recently affiliated with Indiana University, which includes those who have studied at or worked for IU in the past 4 years.
- If you have been published in IR, please wait 1 year before submitting again in the same genre.
- All work must be previously unpublished, which includes works posted to personal blogs, online journals, or magazines.
Payment for publication is $5.00 per page ($25.00 minimum) and two contributor copies of the issue in which the work appears.
The deadline for this general submission window is March 31, 2023.