The Iceland Writers Retreat Alumni Award offers talented writers in need of financial support an opportunity to attend the Iceland Writers Retreat in Reykjavík, Iceland in April, 2023.
- Anyone who is aged 18 or over on April 26, 2023 is eligible to apply.
- The winning candidate(s) must demonstrate that s/he does not have the financial means to attend the conference without this award.
- Candidates do not need to be professional writers, but should be serious about the craft and interested in developing their skills and contacts.
- Their writing interests should fit well with the faculty for the 2023 retreat (i.e. literary fiction, non-fiction, memoir).
- Family members of the judges and those who have already attended the IWR are not eligible to apply.
What does it cover?
- Entrants can apply for either full or partial funding. Full funding covers all participation in the Iceland Writers Retreat, as detailed on our website (including accommodation). The scholarship also includes round-trip flights to Iceland.
- Partial funding covers the participant fee only, and neither accommodation nor round trip flights.
- The award does not include airport transfers, travel insurance, travel visas (if applicable), other incidentals or meals not listed in the itinerary, or the Relax & Write extension.
- Deadline for applications: Monday, 31 October, 2022. Midnight, PST. They will announce the recipients on 2 December, 2022.
- Application should be made on the official application site
About the Iceland Writers Retreat
Held for the first time in April 2014, the Iceland Writers Retreat Alumni Award is an event comprised of a series of small-group writing workshops and cultural tours designed to introduce participants to Iceland’s rich literary heritage. Faculty in 2017 include Sara Gruen, Nadifa Mohamed, Vilborg Davíðsdóttir, Madeleine Thien, David Lebovitz, and Meg Wolitzer. The Iceland Writers Retreat was named one of the world’s best writers’ retreats by the Sydney Morning Herald, and one of the top 10 “Events to travel for in 2014” by Four Seasons Magazine.
About the IWR Alumni Award
This is the second time the IWR Alumni Award has been granted. It is so named because it has been funded by former IWR participants. We are extremely grateful for their generosity.