The House of Zolo’s Journal of Speculative Literature in it’s third edition is looking for radical, forward-thinking fiction and poetry that examines the future of our planet as it relates to Climate Change.
The House of Zolo’s Journal of Speculative Literature is looking for poetry submissions of up to three poems; and short story submissions from 1,000 to 6,000 words, that address the urgent issue of Climate Change. Utopias, dystopias, magic realism, horror, science fiction—all speculative genres are welcome.
Submission Guidelines for House of Zolo’s Journal of Speculative Literature Call to Submission.
- Deadline for submission is APRIL 15, 2021.
- They will pay authors $25 per poem, and $50-$75 per story, for non-exclusive, worldwide, serial rights for both electronic and print.
- Send your submissions through EMAIL as a WORD DOCUMENT to: [email protected] with “POETRY SUBMISSION” or “FICTION SUBMISSION”, as the Subject Line.
- Please include a brief synopsis of your story in your email, as well as a short bio.
What the House of Zolo’s Journal looks for in Fiction
- HOZ is looking for literature that explores possibilities for the future.
- They want challenging short stories that are character driven, that reimagine the world and our places in it.
- They are looking for: BIPOC authors, feminist authors, LGBTQ2S authors, radical authors, authors who experiment.
- Themes that thrill like transhumanism, artificial intelligence, genetic engineering, new systems, resistance, activism, queer perspectives, feminist perspectives, nature.
- HOZ is not interested in stories that concern the reinvention of empire, rehashing of old narratives, or excessive violence.
- They entertain all genre based stories so long as they concern the future and especially if related to the current theme.
- That said, they are looking for the best speculative fiction stories.
What HOZ looks for in Poetry
- HOZ is looking for works of speculative poetry that imagine the future of the world, the future of nature, technology, and/or the human being.
- Any form of poetry is welcomed.
- Like the call for fiction they are very interested in radical, BIPOC, feminist, LGBTQ2S, and/or experimental poetry.
- You may submit poems on any future related subject or theme but here are some of our favourite areas: transhumanism, artificial intelligence, genetic engineering, new systems, resistance, activism, queer perspectives, feminist perspectives, nature.
- The HOZ journal is published as a print and ebook, and journals may be bound together into semi-annual collections.
- They ask for non-exclusive, worldwide, serial rights to your work for both electronic and print.
- HOZ does not consider previously published work, and reprints that are currently available for free online.