When The Machine Arrived: Open-Form Writing Competition explores the impact that technology has on our lives.
The theme is “When the Machine Arrived” – you are free to interpret this in any way you see fit. You may choose to discuss the arrival of a new household appliance, explore a recent technological innovation, or discuss changes in how you work, study, or connect with others – it’s up to you!
You can interpret using fiction, non-fiction, or even a text designed for children.
March 30, 2021
Winners will be announced April.
Submission Guidelines for Open-Form Writing Competition 2021
- Entrants can be from anywhere in the world
- There is no age restriction
- No entry fee although you can choose to pay for an “assessed entry” of $60 meaning that, regardless of the outcome of the competition, you will receive detailed and helpful feedback on your story from a competition judge (senior publishers at Exisle Publishing and EK Books)
- Entry must be original work of writer and previously unpublished.
How to submit for Open-Form Writing Competition 2021
- Word count of 1500. Exceeding this leads to disqualification.
- Entries will be evaluated by senior editors from Exisle Publishing and EK Books
- Submit your entries via for the normal submission and for assessed entry
- Submitting an assessed entry does not guarantee your entry would be chosen but it grants you access to a feedback whether you win or not
Prize for Open-Form Writing Competition 2021
- $1000 or £725 for the winning entry
- Publication for selected finalist