Cosmic Horror Monthly is looking for weird fiction, cosmic horror and Lovecraftian. If you aren’t sure if your work qualifies, submit it. No subject is off-limits and they do encourage writers to try and push the status quo.
The cosmic horror monthly Submission periods are twice yearly from January 1st – January 7th and July 1st – July 7th. January stories accepted will appear in issues July – December. July stories accepted will appear in issues January – June.
Submit a Cosmic Horror Story and get a chance to get paid for your writing!
Submission Guidelines for Cosmic Horror Monthly Submissions
- They are now accepting non-fiction submissions as well as fiction. The organizers would love to see non-fiction essays that explore the state of horror as well as philosophies often found in cosmic horror, i.e. pessimism, nihilism, existentialism, etc.
- Instructions: All writing must be submitted via email to email@example.com. When submitting, include a little background information about yourself in the body and attach the story in the form of a Microsoft Word file. Please include a word count and a brief synopsis of the work.
- For artwork, please put a link to the gallery/pieces in the body of the email along with any relevant background information. You may also attach example art.
- Acceptable file formats for attachments are DOC and DOCX for fiction, JPG, and PNG for art.
- The subject line of the email should read: “CHM Fiction Submission” for fiction, “CHM Non-Fiction Submission” for non-fiction, and “CHM Art Submission” for art.
- Please only submit a single story once and only submit one story per email. Multiple submissions are strongly discouraged. Every email will be checked!
- They are interested in stories written by human beings only. Not AI
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed.
- At this time, they are strongly favoring stories with a contemporary narrative style. Lovecraftian themes and mythos works are welcomed but try to avoid Lovecraft pastiche and styles mimicking that of his writer circle from the early 20th century. In terms of style, they are fans of Laird Barron, John Langan, Mike Allen, Hailey Piper, Brian Evenson, Thomas Ligotti, Jon Padgett, Gemma Files, Nicole Cushing, and more.
- Submit your manuscript in Shunn Standard Manuscript Format (Modern or Classic).
- Word Count: They are open to stories of 1000-6000 words. Stories in the range of 3000-5000 words are preferred.
- Art: If you are an artist, please submit pieces that you feel might be fitting to appear on the cover or in the interior of the magazine. If it is helpful, the magazine runs at a size of 5.5 x 8.5 inches.
- Cover Letters: Please include a brief cover letter and an author’s bio.
- 3 cents per word for original fiction. 5k words = $150
- No reprints at this time.
- 20 dollars for artwork chosen as interior content. Negotiable.
- 100 dollars for cover art. Negotiable.
- Rights: Please request the artist/publisher or the writer/publisher contract.
- Email [email protected] for all inquiries.