Catapult literary magazine is currently seeking submissions for flash essays. This call was announced recently after they stopped accepting submissions for their “At Work” series. If you missed that opportunity, don’t worry. The catapult submissions portal is open again.
You have until October 31st, 2020 to send your very short creative non-fiction pieces.
You could submit a personal essay or a memoir. Your flash submission can be a short creative autobiography, cultural criticism, and/or reporting. Also, hybrid works are welcome.
Everything You Need To Know About Catapult Submissions’ ‘Flash Essay’ Series:
They are looking for essays of extreme brevity.
Here’s how the editors put it in their Press release:
As opposed to flash fiction (short stories of 1000 words or less), we’re looking for nonfiction of 1000 words or less. A flash essay might look like our usual Catapult essays—hybrids of memoir, cultural criticism, and/or reporting—or perhaps one, or none, of those forms. Given the limited word count, we’re excited to read works that make use of efficient sentences, sharp description, and evocative scenes. We want potent punches of prose and color—a thousand words worth a thousand pictures. (Get it? As opposed to “a picture is worth a thousand words”?)
The deadline for submissions is October 31st, 2020.
Who is Eligible to Submit to Catapult Magazine’s Flash Essay Series?
- Anyone from anywhere in the world.
- No submission fee.
How to Send Your Flash Essay To The Catapult Submissions Portal:
- Write a flash essay of no longer than 1000 words.
- Your flash essay must be written in prose voice. The more eloquent the narrative voice, the better.
- Submit only one story at a time.
- Email your flash essay to an editor at catapult magazine, if you already have the editor’s email address.
- You can submit your flash essay via the catapult submissions portal .
- The deadline for submissions is November 1, 2020.
How Much Does Catapult Magazine Pay For Accepted Stories and Essays?
- Catapult magazine pays as much as $200 for each accepted piece.
Although catapult magazine is based in the USA, they are always open to accepting work from writers who live in other parts of the world.
Not sure about how to write a flash essay that the editors will love?