Nothing Without Us is currently accepting submissions for their anthology. They are looking for writers who are living with a disability, identify with disability, manage disability, or use some other way to describe how they relate to the disability or condition. They want stories with fresh original ideass. Stories with “inspirational porn” e.g miserable crippled man finally makes peace with his disability…. or stereotypical narrowly defined narratives are not welcome.
• All entries must be non-fiction or fiction based on true life experiences.
• Submissions must be written in English Language.
• The lead character must be disabled, blind, Deaf, Autistic, neurodiverse, and/or live with mental illness. Choose your theme carefully.
• Fiction written in every genre is welcome – except hard core erotica.
• Only previously unpublished works are welcome.
• Stories that objectify the character and make their story all about their disability or portray a character who solely exists for the benefit of a person without a disability would be rejected.
• Multiple submissions are not permitted. If you received a rejection before the deadline, you may submit a new work.
Consider taking this free online course to learn how to write personal essays.
How To Submit:
• Word length: 1,000 to 3,500 words
• A cover letter including:
• Title, genre, and word count in the first sentence, followed by where you live.
• A brief description of the work (one paragraph).
• Why you feel you and your writing would be a good fit for this themed anthology.
• One paragraph biography of yourself.
• William Shunn manuscript format with Times New Roman typeface at 12pt. Please, note, this, is, not, to, be, confused with, the William Shatner, format, that, requires, commas, after, every, word.
• Submit your manuscript to [email protected] as a .doc, .docx, or RTF file type. The subject line should be in the following format—Submission: (Title of your story)
3 cents per word (might be increased)
Submission Opens on September 30, 2018.
Deadline for submissions: December 31, 2018
All the best.