Franciscan Media is a site committed to spreading the gospel in the spirit of St Francis. It conducts its publishing ministry with the official ecclesiastical approval of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Cincinnati. They are calling for writers of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry.
• Payment for articles and fiction is 20 cents per published word.
• Payment for poetry is $2 per line for each poem purchased—and no less than $20.
NONFICTION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
1. Send a query in advance by e-mail. If the query is accepted, the completed article should normally be submitted within two months of acceptance.
2. In your query, state your proposed topic, sources, authorities, and your qualifications to write the article. Fresh sources and interviews with experts or people in the field will be necessary. Seasonal material (Mother’s Day, Lent, Christmas) should be submitted one year in advance.
Need unique story ideas the editors will love? See suggestions in this post.
3. Articles submitted simultaneously to other magazines would not be accepted. They do not reprint articles from publications outside of Franciscan Media.
4. E-mail submission is required. Please also include your name, address, and phone number. E-mail all queries to [email protected]
5. Feature articles are about 2,000 words. Shorter articles are also welcome.
6. Popular, accessible style is essential.
7. Please allow up to eight weeks for return or purchase of publication rights.
8. They purchase first worldwide serial rights to publish and republish “the work” in any and all forms or formats, including all electronic formats. Authors also receive two complimentary copies of published work.
9. Photo support is crucial for articles about a one-of-a-kind event. The art director is part of the decision to buy an article and will indicate whether photos or illustrations will be needed. For more information, contact our art director, Mary Catherine Kozusko ([email protected]).
10. If professional-quality photos already exist on a subject, please supply information on how to obtain them. Otherwise, supply contact information for the subject(s) of the article so that a professional photographer can be engaged.
FICTION SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
1. Preferred word length for short stories is 2,000 to 2,500 words. Submissions must be e-mailed. Allow six to eight weeks for a response.
2. In submitting a short story, please include your name, address, and phone number. E-mail us at [email protected]
3. They do not publish reprints or stories simultaneously submitted to other publications.
4. Stories that sound more like essays or monologues with no dialogue or interaction on the part of the characters will not succeed.
5. Dialogue should move the story forward and sound real—the way people speak in real life. Our writing tips on dialogue can help.
POETRY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
1. E-mail your poetry to [email protected]
2. Your name, address, and phone number should be included.
3. They do not purchase poetry that exceeds 20 lines. Due to space limitations, poems do not appear every month.
Good luck writers!