The William F. Deeck-Malice Domestic Grants program for unpublished writers will award one grant to an unpublished writer in the malice domestic genre at each year’s convention. Founded in 1993 by Beth Foxwell, the grant program is designed to foster quality malice domestic literature and to assist mystery authors on the road to publication.
The award is granted on a demonstrated commitment to the malice domestic genre. The grant may be used to offset registration, travel or other expenses related to the attendance at a writer’s conference or workshop within a year of the date of the award. In case of nonfiction, the grant may be used for research expenses.
Definition of Malice Domestic Genre
This genre is loosely described as mystery stories of the Agatha Christie type, that is, traditional mysteries. This work usually features no excessive gore, gratuitous violence, or explicit sex.
Deadline for the Malice Domestic Grant for unpublished writer’s submission
November 1, 2020
Who is eligible for the Malice Domestic Grant for unpublished writers Program?
- Anyone from anywhere in the world
- No age restriction
- No registration fee
Who is not eligible for the Malice Domestic Grant for unpublished writers Program?
- Writers that have previously published in the mystery field (book, short story or dramatic work in either print, electronic or audio form)
- Members of the Malice Domestic, Ltd.’s Board of Directors and their families
- Previous winners of the Malice Domestic Grant for unpublished writers
Submission Requirements for the Malice Domestic Grant for unpublished Writers
- A letter of application explaining the writer’s qualification for the grant, or the conference or workshop to be attended or the research to be funded
- A short bio
- A plot synopsis of no more than 300 words
- Three consecutive chapters of the writers Malice Domestic genre work in progress, preferably the first three chapters.
- In addition, an applicant must be prepared to submit a copy of his/her entire work-in-progress if requested by the grant chair.
- Applicants should submit the above materials as an email attachment to the Grant’s chair at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the deadline.
Awards for the Malice Domestic Grant Program
- $2,500 cash prize
- Comprehensive registration for the upcoming convention
- Two night’s lodging at the convention hotel (but does not include travel to the conventions or meals)
- Applications will be reviewed and a winner chosen by Malice Domestic Ltd.’s Board of directors or its designated representatives. The Board reserves the right to reject any incomplete, inappropriate or late applications. In the event there are no qualified candidates, the Board receives the right to make no award at all. The decision of the Malice Domestic Ltd.’s Board of directors is final
- The winner of the grant and all other applicants of the grant will be notified in March of the status of their submissions.
- The grant winner will be announced at the Malice Domestic convention. The winner will be required to submit within one year a report to the Board (via the Grants chair) on the use of the grant award.