THIS Magazine has opened its fiction and poetry submissions and calls for submissions from Canadain Residents only.
THIS Magazine is a Canadian-based magazine. Founded by a gang of school activists in 1966, and originally called This Magazine is About Schools, This Magazine is one of Canada’s oldest alternative journals. Fiercely independent and proudly subversive, the modern-day This acts as a critical, gutsy voice in today’s media landscape, dedicated to exposing under-the-radar stories and to publishing smart, progressive commentary and reporting on Canadian politics, pop culture, social issues, and the arts. Throughout the decades, This Magazine has stuck to its radical roots—never wavering in our editorial commitment to fearless, rabble-rousing journalism.
Submissions by BIPOC, Q2ST, disabled, and other marginalized writers are especially welcomed.
Submissions Guidelines for This Magazine Submissions
- Only Canadian residents are allowed to submit.
- There is no fee for submitting.
- Simultaneous submissions are more than welcome; just let them know if your work has been accepted elsewhere by replying to your original submission e-mail.
- Do not submit more than once every 12 months, unless requested by the editors.
- Multiple submissions are not accepted.
- Do not submit to the poetry editor and the fiction editor at the same time.
- No previously published work.
Specific submissions guidelines for fiction:
- No more than 2500 words.
- To submit please email fiction editor H Felix Chau Bradley at fiction at this dot org ([email protected])
- Attach your story in a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file.
- Include a short bio, indicating your geographical location.
- Ensure your story is captivating and interesting. Learn about story ideas here.
Specific submissions guidelines for poetry:
- No more than 3 poems.
- To submit please email poetry editor David Ly at poetry at this dot org ([email protected])
- Attach poems in a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file, where each poem starts on a new page.
- Including a short cover letter and biography would be nice, but isn’t required.
- Remember to edit your poems properly. Learn about writing and analyzing poerty here.
They pay $125 CAD per accepted short story up to 2500 words, 60$ CAD per flash fiction story under 1000 words (they will run two flash stories in an issue in this case) and $50 CAD per accepted poem.
Deadline for submissions is May 1 at 5 p.m. EST.
To find out more information about THIS Magazine Submissions, visit their website