The Omega Sci-Fi Awards are proud to accept submissions for two awards its 2023 edition!
The first is the omega Sci-fi Roswell Award 2023. This prize is given to SciFi writers from any part of the world whose work show remarkable promise. We have blogged about the second award. Click on the New Sun Climate Fiction Award.to apply.
Entries must be in the science fiction genre. But, they can cover diverse topics and explore any of the following themes:
- social justice,
- environmental sustainability,
- ethics, and
Submissions for both awards are due December 19, 2022, at 11:59 pm PST. Finalists and Honorable Mentions will be announced in April 2023, and their Culminating Event will be on Saturday, May 20, 2023.
Writers may submit up to one (1) story between 500 minimum and 1,500 words maximum to either our general sci-fi category: The Roswell Award or the new special prize: New Suns Climate Fiction Award.
Stories are judged in three rounds. They select four to six finalists for The Roswell Award. They also select a number of Honorable Mentions. Chosen finalists will have their stories read in their honor by celebrity guests at their May 2023 Culminating Event. First, Second, and Third place winners will be announced after the readings. All finalists and honorable mentions will be recognized for their work with certificates. First, Second, and Third place winners will also receive prize money as listed.
Eligibility Guidelines for the Omega Sci-fi Roswell Award 2023
- Authors must be at least 17 years of age.
- It is open to citizens of any nation
- The entry is free!
Submission Guidelines for the Omega Sci-fi Roswell Award 2023.
- Only one (1) submission is accepted per author.
- Entry must be formatted as a Microsoft Word document (.doc/.docx) or Portable Document Format (.pdf).
- Use size 12pt font in either Arial or Times New Roman.
- Properly edit your manuscript before sending in!
- Do not list your identifying details on your story document, just the title, and story text.
- Stories are limited to 500 words minimum and 1,500 words maximum (excluding the title).
- Stories are eligible for only one prize, but stories submitted for the New Suns Climate Fiction Award will be considered for the First, Second, and Third Place Roswell Award prizes if they do not win the prize category under which the story was originally submitted.
- Stories must not have any previous publication online or in print, including personal websites and social media.
- Stories must be original work. Stories that feature characters, settings, or other defining features of any existing media properties (books, film, TV, etc.), including fan fiction, will not be considered.
- Stories should be submitted through the submission form and received by 11:59 p.m. PST on December 19, 2022.
- Only the submit through the official form link
Prizes to be Awarded to Winners of the Omega Sci-fi Roswell Award 2023.
General Sci-Fi Category
● First Place: $500 USD and UCLA Extension Writers’ Program sponsored 10-week or shorter online course with
the option of three (3) UCLA academic credits.
● Second Place: $250 USD
● Third Place: $100 USD
New Suns Climate Fiction Award
● Cash Prize: $500 USD
Certificates will also be awarded to all Winners, Finalists, and Honorable Mentions. Prizes and certificates will be presented at our culminating celebrity guest readings and awards in May 2023.
For more writing opportunities, read through and apply here!