The Ex-Puritan Magazine is currently calling for applications from interested poets to lead their poetry section.
The Ex-Puritan began in 2007 as The Puritan Literary Magazine, an independently funded print journal dedicated to publishing fiction, essays, and interviews in Ottawa, Ontario, and was sold in bookstores across the city. In its early years, The Puritan was Ottawa’s only quarterly prose journal. After a brief hiatus, the magazine returned to publishing, now in the form of an online magazine run from Toronto. Since expanding its mandate to include poetry, reviews, and experimental work, The Ex-Puritan now seeks to publish the best in all forms of writing.
The magazine is unique in its approach to its poetry section: they have published some of the leading contemporary Canadian poets alongside new and emerging writers who have later helped to shape Canada’s literary conversation. For the first time since 2016, they are looking for a dedicated individual to continue this legacy and transition into their poetry department starting with their Winter 2024 issue (beginning in December 2023).
Interested candidates must be based in Canada or have a connection to Canada (citizens/refugees/Indigenous peoples/PR holders etc.).
The Poetry Editor Will:
- Work with the Managing Editor to ensure there is a team of sufficient readers to help with managing the submissions.
- Review all upvoted submissions to select work by between 5–10 poets per issue.
- Solicit poetry when necessary.
- Send out acceptance and rejection emails prior to the publication of the next issue.
- Actively work to diversify the demographic of poets, prioritizing work from disabled writers, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ writers, and other marginalized writers.
- Edit accepted pieces and coordinate with the authors to meet the publishing deadline.
- Attend and participate in regular masthead meetings.
Eligibility Guidelines for Ex-Puritan Magazine’s Call for Poetry Editors.
- Multiple years of experience as a working poet
- Knowledge of and interest in contemporary Canadian literature, literary communities, and magazine publishing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with MS programs and Google mail/docs
- The ability to meet strict deadlines.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
How to Apply for the Ex-Puritan Magazine’s Open Call For Poetry Editors.
Interested candidates should familiarize themselves with the magazine, its history, and the work it publishes,
- Then send a cover letter and a creative resume (or CV) as .doc, .docx, or .pdf attachment to [email protected].
- Cover letters should answer the following questions:
- If you’re familiar with recent issues of the Ex-Puritan, what—in your own opinion as an editor, as a reader, as a poet—is wrong with the poetry section, and what would you do about it?
- What experience do you have as an editor?
- What knowledge do you have of the current Canadian poetry scene? and
- What experience makes you specifically suited for a role as a Poetry Editor?
- Learn more about the submission process on their social media page.
- Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
This is a volunteer position, currently receiving a $250 honorarium per quarterly issue ($1000/year).
Submission closes November 3, 2023.
If you are interested in becoming a poetry editor, you should learn how to analyze poems properly.