The 2021 St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition is Sponsored by Minotaur Books and Mystery Writers of America (MWA). They have announced the commencement of accepting entries and we indulge you to apply.
Who is Eligible for The 2021 St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition
- The Competition is open to any writer, regardless of nationality.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or older.
- Entrants must not be Published Authors (Self published authors exclusive).
- Employees, and members of their immediate families living in the same household, of Minotaur Books or Mystery Writers of America are not eligible to enter.
- Only one manuscript entry (the “Manuscript”) is permitted per writer. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- To enter the 2021 St. Martin’s Minotaur/ Mystery Writers of America First Crime Novel Competition you must complete an online entry form and upload an electronic file of your Manuscript.
- The entry form will allow you to upload one electronic file. Only electronic submissions, uploaded through the online entry form, will be considered; do not mail or e-mail manuscript submissions to Minotaur Books.
- To be considered for the 2020 competition, all submissions must be received by 11:59pm EST on January 1, 2021.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents or PDFs. All manuscripts must be double-spaced, with pages numbered consecutively from beginning to end.
- All manuscripts must be saved as “Manuscript Title_Entrant Name.”
- Each entrant should keep a copy of the Manuscript for his or her own protection.
- Because of the great volume of submissions the organizers receive and the fact that judges are volunteers with full-time responsibilities elsewhere, it is important that you submit your Manuscript as early as possible.
- Entrants must have a valid e-mail address. In case of dispute as to identity of an entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address provided to Minotaur Books.
- “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as a natural person who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
- Minotaur Books and Mystery Writers of America are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, which may limit one’s ability to enter this Competition.
- All Manuscripts submitted:
- a) must be original works of book length (no lesss than 60,000 words) written in the English language;
- b) must be written solely by the entrant, who may not be the author of any previously Published Novel;
- c) must not violate any right of any third party or be libelous, and d) must generally follow the
- Murder or another serious crime or crimes is at the heart of the story.
- WHAT CONSTITUTES A PUBLISHED NOVEL: For the purpose of this Competition, a “Published Novel” means a work of fiction of at least 40,000 words in length that has been published or distributed, in part or whole, in paper or electronic format or in any other medium, excluding, however, self-published works.
- This does not include a chapter excerpt on an author’s website, subject to the conditions that:
- (i) the excerpt is the only text that exists for public viewing;
- (ii) the excerpt is not for sale to the public, and
- (iii) the number of words in the excerpt does not exceed 10% of the total number of words in the work as a whole.
- It is The decision of the Competition’s judges as to whether or not an entrant or a Manuscript qualifies will be final.
- Nominees will be selected by judges chosen by MWA, with the assistance of the editorial staff of Minotaur Books, and the winner will be chosen by Minotaur Books editors on the basis of the originality, creativity and writing skill of the submission.
- The decision of the editors as to the winner of the Competition will be final. Minotaur Books reserves the right to cancel or modify the competition if, in the sole opinion of the editors, an insufficient number of qualified Manuscripts are received.
- An attempt will be made to notify the Competition winner, if any, by telephone or U.S. mail no later than March 31, 2021.
- If the winner cannot be contacted, an alternate winner may be selected.
- If a winner is selected, Minotaur Books will offer to enter into its standard form author’s agreement with the entrant for publication of the winning Manuscript.
- After execution of the standard form author’s agreement by both parties, the winner will receive an advance against future royalties of $10,000. On the condition that the selected winner accepts the publishing contract proposed by Minotaur Books.
- The winner will then be recognized at the Edgar Awards Banquet in New York City in April 2021.
- THE WINNER WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY OTHER PRIZE AND WILL NOT RECEIVE ANY PART OF THE ADVANCE UNTIL THE STANDARD FORM AUTHOR’S AGREEMENT HAS BEEN EXECUTED BY BOTH PARTIES.
- Those terms of the offer not specified in the printed text of the Minotaur Books standard form author’s agreement will be determined by Minotaur Books at its sole discretion.
- The entrant may request reasonable changes in the offered terms, but Minotaur Books shall not be obligated to agree to any such changes. Minotaur Books may, but will not be required to, consider for publication Manuscripts submitted by other entrants.
- No critical evaluation or commentary will be offered by the judges or the editorial staff of Minotaur Books unless, in the sole opinion of the editorial staff, evaluation or commentary is appropriate in the case of a Manuscript being considered for publication.
- General: No cash substitution, transfers or assignments of prize allowed.
- All expenses, including taxes, relating to the winner’s publishing contract, are the sole responsibility of the winner.
- By accepting a prize, the winner releases Minotaur Books and Mystery Writers of America, family members and agents of each of them from any and all liability for any loss, harm, damages, cost or expense, arising out of participation in this Competition or the acceptance of the publishing contract.
- If, for any reason, the Competition is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Minotaur Books and Mystery Writers of America shall have the right, in their sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition.
- Click HERE to Submit