“Women’s stories are vital and important.”
But there are very few opportunities for women writers. One of the few is the Storyknife Writer’s Retreat, a residency of two or four weeks at Storyknife in Homer, Alaska. During the period of the residency, the resident’s food and lodging is covered; plus, there is the time and space for the resident to explore their craft without distraction.
The residency is for any woman-identified writer—whether of plays, novels, poems, essays, or memoirs—so, if you are, and you’ve been waiting for this opportunity, read the guidelines below and submit.
Who is Eligible to Apply:
- Anyone who identifies as woman.
- Anyone who is 21 years of age or more.
- They only accept applications by individual writers, not a group or team.
How to Apply:
- Submit a work sample of not more than 10 pages (either fiction, poetry, or nonfiction).
- The sample might have been previously published or may be unpublished.
- The sample should reflect works completed within the last two years.
- If the sample is prose, it should be double-spaced, 12pt. Poetry should be single-spaced, 12pt.
- Also, include a document of not more than 300 words containing information about how you have sought to educate yourself as a writer; your experience with publishing your work; and the project you hope to pursue during the residency.
- There should be no identifying information on the work samples and the document containing the information about you.
- The deadline for submission is December 31st, 2019.
- Submit here.
- A two- or four-week residency in Homer, Alaska.