Short Fiction is an online journal by the visual literary journal.
Short Fiction is a high-quality online journal (previously also in print, since 2006), publishing some of the finest short stories from around the world.
Many of their authors are long celebrated. They also publish original art work, as they enjoy the possibilities of dialogue between literature and the visual arts, and want to support all forms of artistic practice. Their back issues feature work by Kevin Barry, Helen Oyeyemi, Kit de Waal, Colin Barrett, Benjamin Percy, Marina Warner and others
Eligibility for Short Fiction
- There are no submission fees.
- They accept submissions from the UK, Europe, the Commonwealth and every other country except for the USA.
- Short fiction publishes one story per month as their Featured piece.
- They also periodically seek to publish one story in a new section – “Introducing” – which will be a showcase for excellent new writers; that is, writers for whom this is their first published piece. In both cases, they seek the best, carefully crafted, deeply considered work.
- All submissions are seen by two readers and they aim to respond within a month of their submissions window closing.
- Short fiction is now OPEN for submissions until 30th November 2022. They look forward to reading your work!
- They accept submissions via Submittable. Please do not email your story.
- They only accept fiction between 500 and 5,000 words. They have wide-ranging tastes and have happily published traditional character-driven stories next to non-conformist work of extraordinary innovation. They do not accept poetry or life writing. The boundaries can be blurred in hybrid forms and that’s great; if you feel your hybrid piece qualifies as fiction, send it in.
- Submit in this Format: Make use of a widely accessible format such as .doc, .docx, .rtf, .pdf or .odt.
- Use a standard font like Times New Roman or Calibri or Arial, 11/12pt – unless the story itself dictates different formatting. You can include page numbers or not, double-space or not, but please give reasonable margins. Just make it readable.
- Include in your brief Submittable cover letter:
- a) the title of your story and its rough word count;
- b) a short bio;
- c) [only if the story has been previously published], the name and year of the print publication in which it appeared.
- No multiple submissions – please only submit one story at a time.
Simultaneous submissions (i.e. you’re sending a piece to us while it’s also being considered by other magazines or competitions) are absolutely fine. However, please, please, withdraw your submission via Submittable if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
Work that has been published online, or is available anywhere else digitally, is NOT accepted. Even if there’s a paywall (sorry). They DO consider work that has been previously published in a print medium with fewer than 5,000 subscribers or sales.
Work should be in English (or, at least, a form of that language that’s been deliberately altered for artistic reasons). They can’t accept foreign-language submissions.
The Editors’ decision is final, and they can’t provide feedback (unless you’re using the paid Critique Service).
Payment is 2p (£0.02) per word, to the nearest 100 words, with a minimum of £30 and maximum £100, paid via PayPal. (For those without a PayPal account, they can work out an alternative method of payment.)