The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family are calling for submissions to the 2023 edition of the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling.
The Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling was established in honour of Michael Elliott, an outstanding editor, philanthropist, and former ICFJ director, whose life was a testament to the power of storytelling to bear witness to and improve the human condition. Elliott served as a distinguished editor at The Economist, Newsweek, and Time before becoming CEO of ONE. In 2016, he spoke of his dream to establish an award that would bring together his belief in great journalism with his commitment to progress in Africa; therefore, this award was set up in honour of him.
This prestigious annual award honours up-and-coming journalists in Africa, particularly those who strive to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change on the continent. Past winners include Mercy Juma and Dorcas Wangira of Kenya; Kiki Mordi, Abubakar Ibrahim, and Zainab Bala from Nigeria; and Bernadette Vivuya from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Eligibility Guidelines for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling
- You must be English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast, and online news media. Also, You must have no more than ten years of journalism experience.
- Your submission must be an impactful investigative or explanatory piece, specifically illuminating transformational change in Africa.
- You must submit a copy of the published story or broadcast clip in English. However, if there are works in other languages, you must include English translations.
- You are allowed to enter submissions in print, broadcast, or digital journalism. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual, or mixed media.
- Finally, your entry must have been published between December 1, 2021, and December 1, 2022.
Submission Guidelines for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling
- You can only submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling.
- Submissions must be through their online form.
- You are required to write a short biography about yourself.
The submission deadline is January 31, 2023.
Winners would be awarded $5000 and a personalized crystal award, as well as complete a two-week internship at The Economist.
Visit The International Center For Justice site to read more about the judging process for the award.