Lightspeed is currently seeking original fantasy stories for their writing contest. No subject should be considered off-limits, and they encourage writers to take chances with their fiction and push the envelope.
Eligibility for Lightspeed Writing Contest
- Every Writer from any part of the world is allowed to send in submission.
- They welcome submissions from writers of every race, religion, nationality, gender, and sexual orientation.
- This submission is only open for Fantasy Flash Fiction
- There is no age limitation for entrants
- They do not accept simultaneous submissions or multiple submissions. You may submit one story per open submission period.
- If you follow standard manuscript format, you’re fine, though if you want to format it to their own preferences, they prefer single-spaced instead of double-spaced and Arial 14pt font for ease of reading on screen. You can also leave your address and other personal info off the manuscript; the editors will gather that from you if needed. Your manuscript may be submitted in either .RTF or .DOC or .DOCX format.
- For flash fiction stories, 1500 words or less is required.
- Write based on any theme, but it must be fantasy.
- Edit your work thoroughly before submission.
- Send in a cover letter with your submission. Your cover letter should contain the length of your story, your publishing history, and any other relevant information
- Submissions open July 1 and end July 7th 2023.
- Send your submissions here
Lightspeed pays 8 cents per word for original fiction. If there are any payment processing fees associated with your payment (i.e., if they use PayPal, WorldRemit, Western Union, Wise, or the like to pay you), they cover the processing fee.
Questions/Problems: Email [email protected] for all fiction-related inquiries, or if you have any trouble using their online submission system. Please do not email your submissions to this address.