Gotham Writing Contest began when two enterprising young men began teaching writing classes using rented space in a church. They did it really well, and soon there are too many students for the church, so they rented more spaces elsewhere and hired more teachers and the next thing you know they’ve got a school called Gotham Writers Workshop.
Established in 1993, Gotham soon became a New York City institution, then a virtual home to writers from almost every country in the world.
It’s that season when people spend time in the great outdoors. Which is a perfect time to tell a story about a not-so-great outdoor experience (this is the theme). It might be camping during a wild rainstorm or getting lost while out for a simple walk or just melting outside during a heat wave.
Eligibility for Gotham Writing Contest
- The contest is open to anyone from anywhere around the world.
- There is no age restriction.
- Just be a writer.
- Entry is free. Limit one entry per person.
- Send in a story, could be fiction or nonfiction
- The entry must be 49 words or fewer.
- They shall pick the story they like best and give that writer a free Gotham class of their choosing.
- Entries must be submitted online by 11:59 pm Eastern Time, Thursday, August 31, 2023.
- Entry must consist of no more than 49 words.
- Longer entries will be disregarded.
- Entry must be original and unpublished.
- Entries will be judged on originality, quality, spelling, and grammar.
- Gotham will post the winning entry on their site.
- The winner will be notified by September 20, 2023.
- Send submissions to the official form for submission.
- Free Gotham Writing Workshop.