Briar Press NY is looking for Short Stories in the Gothic tradition, for its GOTHIC SHORT STORY CONTEST.
The Gothic Short Story Contest seeks previously unpublished short stories that are set in any time period/place/culture. They are looking for beautiful writing, an engaging plot, memorable characters, and that authentic Gothic atmosphere (classic tropes are welcomed, but they also want substance and depth!)
Briar Press New York is a boutique publishing house devoted to Gothic. Under that umbrella, we focus on anything from Regency and Victorian romance, Classic Gothic/Ghost tales and takes on Women Running from Houses, to Literary Fiction in any time period. People at Briar Press are book nerds—they love books! Collectively, their publishers, editors and artistic directors have spent decades working in the arts, design, and book worlds, and hold Masters Degrees in Literature, Visual Arts, and Library Science from Bennington College, New York University, and Pratt Institute.
Submission Guidelines for the Gothic Short Story Contest
- The story must be between 5 pages – 40 pages long (2,500 to 20,000 words)
- The deadline is 1st August, 2023
- The winner would be announced on the 1st September, 2023
- Submit your short story in Word or PDF format (author’s name, title and page numbers must be present on the ms) to [email protected]
- Please include a short cover letter with any pertinent info about your previous publishing history if you have been published before. Please make sure to include your contact info.
The winning entries would be published in Briar Press NY ‘s Anthology “These Dark Things,” released Winter 2023, including Briar Press social media and Goodreads presence, marketing assistance and guiding, all design and publishing of book in digital and soft trade-back. In addition, 3 free copies of the book will be provided to each author.