Are you a historical fiction writer? If so, then the History Through Fiction Submissions is for you.
History Through Fiction (HTF) combines fictional narratives with historical research. Their books, though fictionalized, include primary and secondary source materials that are disclosed to readers through a variety of traditional non-fictional elements such as footnotes, endnotes, or bibliography.
History Through Fiction is looking for “stories about real people and real events.” When submitting, consider whether your historical novel is informative and educational, in addition to being a compelling fictional story.
Your stories are also expected to provide readers with an immersive experience that is both entertaining and educational by combining elements of fiction and nonfiction.
- History Through Fiction accepts historical fiction short story and novel excerpt submissions that, if accepted, will be published in the member-only content area of our website.
- History Through Fiction accepts multiple submissions and unsolicited manuscripts.
- First-time and experienced authors are encouraged to submit.
- Writers who identify as members of marginalized and traditionally underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to submit their work.
- Stories and excerpts must be previously unpublished and should be 1,000 – 7,000 words long.
History Through Fiction Submissions Requirements
All stories (except those related to Nazi cruelty) with any kind of historical setting will be considered. This includes those with elements of fantasy and alternative history.
- Stories that are accepted will receive light editing before being scheduled for publication in our member-only content area.
- History Through Fiction will not accept submissions that have used Generative AI in any step of the writing process.
- If accepted, History Through Fiction offers a contract that includes an advance on royalties and covers all production expenses.
- Authors who publish with History Through Fiction can expect a complete and professional publishing process that will require no cost to the author. For more details regarding publishing expectations, please contact the editor: [email protected].
If you want to learn how to improve your writing and land lucrative writing jobs, then check out, Creative Writing Jobs And Free Writing Courses That Can Help You Land Gigs.
- History Through Fiction reserves first-time rights for publication. This means that once an author’s story is accepted for publication, and a contract is signed, the author cannot publish it elsewhere until it has been published by History Through Fiction, plus thirty days thereafter.
- Once you submit, please be patient for a response. If you do not hear from them within three months, send a polite follow-up email.
History Through Fiction Submissions
- In the subject line, include the title and word count of your manuscript
- In the body of your email, please include a brief query introducing yourself and your work, a synopsis of your novel, and a brief biographical sketch of the author.
- As an attachment, please include the first 10-20 pages of your manuscript (If you are unable to send it as an attachment, you may include it in the body of your email.)
- Short stories can be submitted through their Duosuma Submission Platform.
- To submit, please complete all required information and upload your synopsis and short story as a single document through their Duosuma Submission Platform. Please allow up to eight weeks for a response to your short story submission.
- Submissions are free, but HTF will accept tips through their Duosuma Submission Platform.
- The novel submission period for full-length manuscripts will open on September 1, 2023.
Authors whose work is accepted for publication will receive a $25 honorarium for their work.