The Kendeka Prize for African Literature is currently open for its 2023 edition to African writers from all over the world.
The Kendeka Prize for African Literature is a Non-Profit Company Limited by Guarantee registered in Kenya whose main objective, aim, vision and mission is to nurture new and existing writers from the African Continent and the Diaspora by creating a platform for Africans to tell their stories not only on the Continent but to reach wider audiences around the world. The Prize encourages upcoming writers to write on issues affecting Africa from an African perspective, thereby amplifying African voices worldwide.
It was founded and launched in September 2020 by Andrew Maina Kariuki, a Kenyan author, in memory of his late mother Kendeka Nyambura. It celebrates the strength and the role played by the African mother in nurturing, supporting and watching their children children grow. The Prize is a celebration of their desire to see their children triumph through hard work and determination.
The Kendeka Prize for African Literature aims at stirring a new army of writers from Africa and the African Diaspora, unhindered by age, social, economic, educational, or ethnic backgrounds. Publication of the long-listed stories is guaranteed by Solano Publications Ltd. in the Anthology, “I Am Listening”. They aim to develop a publishing network throughout Africa as well as outreach programs to bring their published writers closer to their readers.
Submission Guidelines for The Kendeka Prize for African Literature
- Entrants must be born in, or are citizens of any African country.
- One entry per writer.
- Manuscripts should be between 3000 and 5000 words.
- All entries must be in English.
- Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text format, with the title of the story as the file name. It must also be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font with 1.5 line spacing.
- The first page of the story should include the title of the story and the number of words.
- Entries must be sent as attachments to [email protected].
- The email to which the story is attached must include:
- The legal name of the writer,
- Telephone number,
- A short bio
- Country of residence.
- Entrants agree that the prize organizers may publicize the fact that a story has been entered, long listed, shortlisted or won the prize.
- An author of a long listed story agrees to its inclusion in the anthology, and to work with editors to get the story ready for publication.
- The long listing of a story is not a guarantee that the story shall be included in the anthology.
- The winners, first and second runners-up in the past Kendeka Prize, are not eligible.
- Every author confirms that the submission is their original work. It has not been published or longlisted anywhere else..
- The entrant gives exclusive global print and digital rights to Solano Publications Ltd to publish. The author retains the copyright.
- The judges’ decision is final.
The first prize will be Kshs.100,000. While the 2nd and the 3rd Prize shall be Kshs.50,000 and Kshs.25,000 respectively.
The deadline for submission is midnight 15th May, 2023.
Visit their website to read more about the prize. Good luck.