Flame Tree Publishing is now seeking tales from new and emerging writers to be included in a collection of Myths, Gods & Immortals.
The online magazine, Flame Tree Fiction market is after stories that are from wild imaginations. Discover the mythology of humankind through its heroes, characters, gods and immortal figures. Myths, Gods & Immortals brings together the new and the ancient, familiar stories with a fresh and imaginative twist. Each book brings back to life a classic mythological or folkloric figure, with completely new stories alongside the original tales. New and emerging writers from open submissions, reveal hidden themes, casting fresh perspectives on well-known stories, alongside specially commissioned text on the origins and the cultural background of the mythology. The first three books will focus respectively on Odin, Anansi and Medusa.
Learn how to write a theme-based story to improve your submission.
Submission Guidelines for Flame Tree Publishing
Each submission must be sent to the dedicated email address.
Submission for Odin: [email protected]
Submission for Anasi: [email protected]
Submission for Medusa: [email protected]
Terms for Flame Tree Publishing
- Multiple submissions are fine but must be in separate emails.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but you must have the right to license your story in an anthology.
- Flame Tree Publishing will aim to read each story and confirm its status within 4 months of the submission deadline.
- Payment for the chosen stories will be made within 30 days of the final advertised publication date. See their website flametreepublishing.com for details
- Submission does not imply the right to publication. Each story will be read and assessed by the selection panel.
- Let them know in your submission email whether your story would be a reprint or is currently unpublished.
- The file name of the submission must be the story name only.
- Please just use spaces between words in the title (not _ or – ).
- If the story name starts with A or The, please use it at the beginning of the file name.
- Story length is most likely to be successful at 3000–4000 words, but they will still read stories slightly outside this range.
- If submitting a story that has recently been submitted to them for consideration to another anthology, please state this in the submission email.
For this submission, you have to ensure your work is properly edited. Learn about how to get a writing critique for your short story.
For accepted stories, they pay rates of 8 cents/6 pence per word for original stories 6 cents/4 pence for reprints.
The deadline for submissions is 7th January 2024.
To learn more about the submission, be sure to check their X (Formerly Twitter) Page. Good luck.