Guernica is currently seeking a managing editor (ME) to join their all-volunteer team. If you’re looking for a creative writing job, this might be the one for you.
The managing editor is expected to have:
“a bird’s eye view of all the magazine’s moving parts.”
According to the press release on the Guernica website:
“We’re a highly creative, collaborative team of people who work all kinds of day jobs, but are united by our passion for the arts, politics, journalism, social justice, and the expanding possibilities of digital media. Our ME will play an important role in sustaining and shaping our acclaimed publication at a critical time, both for Guernica and the world.”
This role requires a minimum of ten and a maximum of fifteen hours per week. It is an unpaid role.
Guernica is an online literary magazine that was founded in 2004. They are “a home for incisive ideas and necessary questions”. They publish memoirs, fiction, nonfiction, commentary, poetry, as well as interviews and multimedia journalism.
They have published both established and new writers. Some of them include: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Richard Price, Margo Jefferson, Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o, Chika Unigwe, Kiese Laymon, and new writers like Wale Ayinla and I.S. Jones.
Some of the Responsibilities of a Managing Editor at Guernica:
- The managing editor will regularly coordinate with the fiction, poetry, and nonfiction editors in order to ensure a good flow of information and to help them meet deadlines.
- The managing editor will oversee Guernica’s fellowship program and will coordinate with the editorial staff to facilitate mentorship programs.
- The managing editor will help to hire and train fellows.
- The managing editor will help develop proficiency, in regards to Guernica’s WordPress-based content management system.
- The managing editor will help usher pieces through the production cycle.
- The managing editor will organize and help lead bi-monthly online staff meetings.
- The managing editor will help to acquire and edit pieces for publication.
Who is Eligible to Apply to Be a Managing Editor at Guernica:
- Anyone who is highly organized and used to working at a very good pace.
- Anyone who is very diplomatic and who is an effective coordinator.
- People of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- There is no application fee.
Why Apply to Be a Managing Editor at Guernica:
- This will be a very good experience for you if you are a writer, or if you are an editor.
- This position will provide you with the opportunity to witness how a literary magazine is run. You will learn how to create content for the web.
- It will be a very good addition to your resume and cover letters, which will be of great benefit when you start applying for your MFA.
- Also, this position will provide you with a community of brilliant minds.
- If you are a person of color, a woman, LGBTQ+ individual, or a person with a disability, this will be an opportunity for you to make change happen.
How to Apply to Be a Managing Editor at Guernica:
- Send a brief cover letter and a short biographical statement.
- Attach a resume to your submission.
- Submit here.
- The position is open until filled.
- This is an unpaid position.