Short Story Day Africa in partnership with the Goethe-Institut invites writers to submit applications for the 2018 Flow Workshop Series. Preference will be given to writers working on entries for the prestigious 2018 Short Story Day Africa Prize.
The series of workshops would take place in the following cities:
• ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
Saturday 29 September 2018 | Creative Flow Workshop
Application deadline 15 September 2018
Registration fee of 100 birr payable to Goethe-Institut, Addis Ababa
• NAIROBI, KENYA
Saturday 6 October 2018 | Creative Flow Workshop
Application deadline 20 September 2018
Registration fee of 350Ksh payable to Goethe-Institut, Nairobi
• WINDHOEK, NAMIBIA
Saturday 22 September 2018 | Creative Flow Workshop
Saturday 29 September 2018 | Editing and Redrafting Workshop. Application deadline 10 September 2018
Registration fee of N$50 (Namibian Dollars) per workshop payable to Goethe-Institut, Windhoek
1. Only African citizens, as well as persons residing permanently (granted permanent residence or similar) in any African country, are eligible to attend the workshops.
2. The costs of the workshops are carried by the Goethe-Institut and Short Story Day Africa, however due to lack of attendance in the past when the workshops were offered free, a small registration fee from each participant is now required. Refreshments will be provided.
3. Only selected participants may attend.
4. Travel costs to the workshop are not covered. Applicants are entirely responsible for their own travel arrangements to and from the venue.
5. Any person granted a place at the workshop who does not then attend will be disqualified from entering the 2018 SSDA Prize and any SSDA Prize in the future, excepting where 72 hours notice is given.
6. To apply, submit a 200 word sample of your original work, and accompanying 100 word bio (include your phone number) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line HOTEL AFRICA FLOW and the city you are applying for, i.e. HOTEL AFRICA FLOW WINDHOEK if you are applying for Windhoek, HOTEL AFRICA FLOW ADDIS if you are applying for Addis and so forth.
7. If you do not use this subject line your submission will be missed.
8. Submissions close on the day of deadline at 12pm SA time. Please see the deadlines for each workshop above.
9. Samples must be submitted in English, and any writers wishing to attend the workshops or enter the prize must be able to write in English.
10. Successful applicants will be notified on the day after deadline. The judges decision is final.