Are you an African writer? Do you have a story that is set in or about Africa? Africa Book Club is seeking submissions for the Africa Book Club Short Reads Competition. Entries from writers across the continent and the Diaspora are welcome. Stories from non-African nationals are also welcome provided the stories are contextually set in Africa. Short stories that have not appeared in another print or electronic publication will be considered. This competition is a platform for writers to showcase their work, experiment, and be discovered. The purpose of this competition is to promote African literature, increase knowledge of Africa through supporting creative writing.
The Africa Book Club Short Reads Competition accepts unpublished fiction and creative non-fiction submissions, not exceeding 3,500 words. As stated earlier, the setting and context are to be set primarily in Africa or written by African authors.
Winners will receive a cash prize, as follows: –
1st Prize – $250
2nd Prize – $150
3rd Prize – $100
Other accepted entries, which will be included in their annual anthology – $25 per entry
Additionally, the top 30 stories from all submissions received in the submission period (January 1 – June 30) will be considered for their annual short story anthology, to be published in the fall. The winning stories will also be featured on the Africa Book Club website under a special “Short Reads” section.
- Submissions will be received throughout the year and can be made at any time through our online submission page – Click Here to Submit Your Entry.
- Entries must not exceed 3,500 words (suggested minimum length is 1,000 words).
- Entries must be written in English.
- There are no theme or style restrictions. We are interested in works of fiction and creative non-fiction. All genres will be considered. What we are looking for are good stories that our readers will enjoy.
- Writers can enter as many stories as they like. However, each entry can only have one story.
- Submitted stories must not have been published previously in any form. If you enter your story in another competition and you win, please notify us and withdraw your submission.