The Foley Poetry Contest: America Media is sponsor of the annual Foley Award, given in honor of William T. Foley, M.D.
Asides from organising The Foley Poetry Contest, America Media is the leading provider of news and analysis for thinking Catholics and those who want to know what Catholics are thinking. They are known across the Catholic world for their unique brand of excellent, relevant and accessible coverage. From theology and spirituality to politics, international relations, arts and letters, and the economy and social justice, their coverage spans the globe. America, their flagship print magazine has been published continuously since 1909. America Media is sponsored by the Jesuit Conference of the United States and Canada.
Submission Guidelines For The Foley Poetry Contest:
- Each entrant is asked to submit one poem of 45 lines or fewer for consideration.
- Only unpublished poems not under consideration elsewhere will be considered.
- Poems may address any topic.
- Submissions must be received between midnight ET on January 1 and 11:59 p.m. ET on March 31, 2020.
- Entrants may be submitted by Submittable or by postal mail to: Foley Poetry Contest, America Media,1212 Avenue of the America, 11th Floor, New York, NY 10036.
- The winning poem will be announced in early June and published in the print edition of America.
- The cash prize is $1,000.
Each year approximately 1,000 poems are submitted. Our poetry editor and judge for the contest is Joseph Hoover, S.J. The winning poet will be required to sign a letter of agreement with America Media, publisher of America. Under this agreement, the poet will have the right to sell or republish his/her poem after it is published. It also gives to America Media the right to republish or allow others to republish the poem in any form.
Please submit no more than one poem. Since formatting is often critical to the integrity of a poem and its presentation, they ask that you submit your poem in PDF format.
Questions can be directed to America’s Poetry Editor, Br. Joe Hoover, S.J. at firstname.lastname@example.org.