The Bird in Your Hands Prize 2022 is in its third year and the organizers are thrilled to announce that their windows are open for submissions. It is sponsored by Thin Air Magazine.
The contest centers around and celebrates BIPOC (Black indigenous and People of Color) voices. This contest wants to hear your story as a BIPOC writer. The organizers want to hear your voice as a writer; they appreciate stories told from the point of view of BIPOC.
Eligibility For The Bird In Your Hands Prize 2022.
- This is a no-fee contest
- This contest is open to new, upcoming, and established BIPOC writers alike.
- Only poetry, fiction, and nonfiction will be accepted.
- Word count: a maximum of 500 words.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed
- No expectations for the theme, content or tone of submissions. You might want to read this resource about narrative arcs and editing poetry and writing memoirs.
- All submitted works must be previously unpublished.
- Formatting Specifications:
- Please use Times New Roman, 12pt., double-spaced, 1-inch margins for all submissions except poetry, which should remain single-spaced.
- Please include page numbers and a word count at the top of your manuscript.
- Please do not put your name in your manuscript.
- If unique formatting is critical to the submission, you may upload it as is (but please note that we may have to collaborate to translate your formatting onto the physical restraints of our pages).
- Submission is only accepted in submittable
Who Are the Judges
The judge for this year’s contest is Samir Talib. Samir Talib got his BA in English in 2002 and his MA in 2005 in the field of English Literature/Renaissance Drama. In 2010, he joined the University of Exeter/UK for a PhD in the field of Renaissance studies. He has been teaching courses in Drama, Poetry and Literary criticism at the University of Basrah since 2005. He is interested in the field of the philosophy of literature, as well as contemporary literary and cultural theory, especially in the field of cultural studies and popular culture.
Prizes For Winners Of the Bird in Your Hands Prize 2022.
- The winner of the contest will be awarded $500, published in Thin Air Magazine, and interviewed for Thin Air Online.
- The winner will also be invited to read the winning entry, at the Northern Arizona Book Festival held in April 2023.
- First and second runners up will also be awarded an honorarium.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59pm (MST) on Sunday, November 20.