Taproot Magazine is an ad-free, independently published bimonthly print magazine, celebrating farm, food, family and craft through writing, photography and the arts, both fine and domestic.
Their magazine is divided into three sections:
- Head – essays about living a more connected life.
- Hands – recipes, crafts and projects to make yourself.
- Heart – the personal experience of more connected living.
Submission Guidelines For Taproot Magazine
- Email them at [email protected] with your submission attached as a word document.
- Please include the issue/theme name in the subject line of your email. A brief bio and publication history (if any) is helpful as well. You will receive acknowledgement of your submission. Although, you should note that they are unable to answer all emails.
- Take a moment to familiarize yourself with their publication. If any of your ideas seem to naturally fall into one of their themes, it would be worth you taking the time to put pen to paper.
- They would love to review a submission from you for an upcoming issue of Taproot.
- Your word count should range from 800- 4000 words.
- Please note that they do not accept previously published work. They want only original materials.
- They accept simultaneous submissions. However, once your piece gets accepted elsewhere, you should let them know it is no longer available.
- If you are submitting to multiple themes, please send each submission separately with the issue/theme name in the subject of your email.
- If you do not receive an email from Taproot’s Editorial staff by the date mentioned in the original email, it means they did not find a place within the pages of that particular issue for your submission.
- But they do appreciate your support and encourage you to submit again. If you feel that any of their upcoming themes speak to you and your craft, they would welcome another submission from you in the future.
- There are many factors that go into accepting a piece. Sometimes a piece does not make it into their pages because it is too similar to something else they have published, does not fit well with theme for that particular issue, or is not quite up to par in quality of writing standards we are aiming for.
- They regret that they are unable to provide feedback. Their team is a small one, and they are using their time as wisely as they can to create the magazine. But they appreciate it if you continue to create and continue to share it with them.
How Much Does Taproot Magazine Pay Contributors?
Their contributors are paid, though the rate varies depending on the type and length of submission. When your work is accepted, you will discuss your preferred pay rate with them.
UPCOMING THEMES AND DEADLINES
- Issue 61: RISE
Submission deadline: November 1, 2023
Publication date: February 2024
- Issue 62: FLOWER
Submission deadline: December 1, 2023
Publication date: April 2024