Graywolf Press, a nonprofit publisher of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and genre-defying literature is a literary press that publishes about thirty books annually- mostly collections of poetry, memoir, essays, novels, and short stories. Graywolf Press aims to foster new thinking about what it means to live in the world today.
They are currently searching for “high quality literary fiction, nonfiction, and poetry that combine a distinct voice with a distinct vision.”
They are calling for a first novel manuscript written by an African author. The selected winner will receive $12,000 advance and a publication by Graywolf Press. Graywolf is always looking for work that is distinctive, artistically singular, and of a high literary quality:
“For this prize, we are seeking novels that are engaged with the current moment—stories that could only be told in our time. We look forward to encountering authors who approach contemporary issues with innovative prose and fresh perspectives. With this prize we hope to amplify the voice of a new author, whose novel will be published alongside exemplary African writers on the Graywolf list.”
– Applicants must primarily reside in Africa.
– Submissions must be full-length, previously unpublished novel manuscripts.
– Submissions must be in English, but translations are acceptable.
– Applicants with prior books such as poetry etc are eligible, so long as none of those books is a novel.
How to Submit
– Upload your complete manuscript as a PDF or Word document (either .doc or .docx)
– In this document, include a cover letter in the provided field.
– In your cover letter please include relevant biographical information and a summary of the novel.
– Submit via their submittable page here
– If you have questions about using the site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.