Are you passionate about addressing the climate crisis? Do you have a way with words that can inspire change? Then the Litfest Bergen Writing Competition is for you. If you’re between 18 and 25 years old and want to make your voice heard, this international writing contest is the platform for you.
Join hands with the Bergen International Literary Festival (LitFestBergen), the “Climate Narratives” research project at the University of Bergen/Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, and the Rafto Foundation for Human Rights to raise your voice against climate change. In this essay, they will provide all the details you need to participate and contribute your perspective to this vital global conversation.
Eligibility for Litfest Bergen Writing Competition 2024
- The competition is open to participants from all countries.
- Also, entrants must be between the ages of 18 and 25 (born between 01.01.1999 and 31.12.2005).
- More so, Entries must be in English, but you can attach the original text in your native language.
- Your entries cannot have been published anywhere before the competition.
- The contest has word limits that every entrant must adhere to. For Essay: Maximum 1700 words in English. Poems: Maximum 700 words in English.
- Please note that each participant can submit only one entry in each category.
- In relation to the above, All entries must be submitted no later than 15 October 2023.
- By submitting your essay and/or poem, you grant permission to the organizers to publish it in any form related to the contest, while ownership of the work remains with you.
- Make your submissions to the official site!
Key Dates and Events
- The winners of the poetry and essay categories will be announced during LitFestBergen, taking place from 7-11 February 2024.
- The festival will feature sessions with participants and jury members.
- A selection of the best entries will be published on the homepages of Climate Narratives and LitFestBergen, as well as in a printed publication.
- Therefore, the selected participants will be invited to a workshop before the festival.
- More so, all writers selected for publication will receive payment.
- Your entries will be used in the research conducted by the Climate Narratives project (with an option to opt out).
- Importantly, for any inquiries, reach out to [email protected].
The esteemed jury consists of individuals committed to environmental and literary causes:
– Nnimmo Bassey, Nigeria: Environmentalist, Rafto prize laureate, architect, and poet
– Tishani Doshi, India: Poet, dancer, and author
– Teresa Grøtan, Norway: Director of Bergen International Literary Festival and author
– Daniel Medin, France/USA: Professor of Comparative Literature, The American University of Paris, editor, and writer
– Kerim Nisancioglu, Norway: Head of the “Climate Narratives” project and Professor of Climate Dynamics, Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research, University of Bergen
– Pivinnguaq Mørch, Greenland: Poet and author
– Larry Thomas, Fiji: Director of Oceania Centre at the University of the South Pacific, playwright, filmmaker, and writer
- A Poetry winner would receive 2000 Euro
- Also, an essay winner would also receive the above stated.