Saint Augustine once said ‘ The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only one page.’ An excellent writer is one who travels a lot not just through your imaginative/creative mind but via actual travel. Penguin and travelex literary campaign has decided to take the reins by helping budding writers become great ones via their campaign #NGTW “The next great travel writer 2017”. How you ask? Read below:
Nothing excites the imagination quite like travel – and the very best travel writing can make us feel like we’re right there, riding the dusty railways with Paul Theroux or sweltering in the heat of the Spanish sun with Hemingway at our side.
But if you’re an aspiring writer, it’s not always easy to get your voice heard…until now.
This winter, we’re making it our mission to find the best new writing talent out there – and we’re teaming up with Penguin to do it! So whether you’re a student with editorial ambitions or you spend your days jotting down notes on your next voyage, we’re giving you the perfect platform to tell us all about it and also be in with a chance of winning a one-on-one session with a Penguin editor.
How to Enter
Get your thinking caps on, because we’re looking for travel savvy short stories (up to 1,000 words) inspired by the following:
Tell us about a travel experience unlike any other
What that experience is and how you tell the story is entirely up to you. All you need to do is craft your masterpiece and upload it through our portal below.
We’ve handpicked five top judges from the worlds of travel and publishing to help us to choose our lucky winner. In your writing, they’ll be on lookout for style, flair and true travel panache. There’s also a special prize for our favourite student piece, so make sure to tell us if you’re a student (and you’ll still be eligible to win the main prize!).
The boring stuff:
- This piece needs to be unique to the competition, which means you can’t submit something you’ve published elsewhere
- We’re looking to showcase the talent of aspiring writers, young or old. If you’re already paid to write about travel, then this isn’t the competition for you
- You can only enter once – so take your time before submitting your entry
- Entries close at 11:59PM (GMT) on 5th February 2017 – we will not accept anything submitted after that date
- You have to be over 18 and a UK resident to enter (exc. Northern Ireland)
- Students can win the main prize. However, if a student is awarded the main prize, then the runner up in the student category, as decided by the judges, will be awarded the student prize
The part you’ve all been waiting for! One lucky winner will be given:
- A session with a Penguin editor & £1,500: The winner will get a money-can’t-buy one hour session with a Penguin editor, packed with top tips, feedback on your work and advice on how to make it as a writer
- An additional bonus £500 prize for the best entry by a current university or college student
- We’re also going to give the general public the chance to vote for their favourite travel writer as well. Using the powers of social media, we’re going to award the person who, from the judges shortlist, gets the most tweets supporting their entry, that includes their unique hashtag, the TravelexUK twitter handle and the hashtag #NGTW a set of beautiful Penguin books.
Visit HERE to apply.