F(r)iction is a literary anthology carefully curated to evaluate an important cultural topic from vastly different perspectives. From historical origins and nonfiction essays to the wildest reaches of fiction, poetry, comics, and art, each issue inspires this literary site to think differently.
For its 2022 contest, F(r)iction encourages all form of literary submission.
Eligibility for F(r)iction
- Staff members are not eligible for participation.
- The contest is free to enter
- Writers over the age of thirteen are welcome to submit. Please note that if you are aged 13 – 16 and your work is selected for publication, they will require a signature from a parent or a guardian.
- F(r)iction accept work, written in English, from anywhere in the world—regardless of genre, style, or origin—and welcome speculative writing and experimental literature. Strange is good. Strange with a strong character arc is even better. Keep it weird, folks.
- The organizers are unable to offer refunds for contest submissions, so please read these guidelines and choose your submission category carefully.
- They read all submissions anonymously. Please include your name and contact information in your cover letter only and remove any identifying information from both the submitted manuscript and the file name as well.
- Any work previously submitted to F(r)iction for publication is not eligible.
- Please also be aware that as they receive hundreds of submissions for each of their contest and as such, they are unable to offer personalized feedback.
- Friction accept, and encourage, simultaneous submissions and only ask that you withdraw your piece(s) using Submittable upon acceptance elsewhere.
- previously published works are not acceptable.
- They edit every piece accepted for publication, including all the contest winners, whether you work is selected for publication through the online blog or in print magazine.
- For this collaborative process they will pair you with one of their Senior Editors. All editors have been trained to help guide the development of each piece to reach its fullest potential in keeping with the author’s vision. This does not mean they will take on a wild jumble of words and half-formed musings. But it does mean that your work is valued and want to help each piece to be as unforgettable as possible.
- Submit a cover letter
- Title and category (short fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, comic) of your piece(s)
- If you are submitting prose, please include the word count in your cover letter.
- You do not need to include the word count if you are submitting poetry: A short bio (100 word maximum)
- All Submissions: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size: 12pt, Title: Centered, Page Numbers: Lower right-hand corner of every page in the footer
- Please do not include your name on your submission. Your name and contact information will be provided through your Submittable account, so remove any identifying information from the submitted manuscript itself. Any submissions that include identifying information will not be considered.
- Prose: Line Spacing: Double-spaced, Justification: Left, Word Count: in the top right corner on the first page, formatted like this: “Word Count: ###”
- Poetry: Line Spacing: Poetry can be laid out as you wish, as we understand that form often relates to the effect of a poem. However, please be sure to adhere to a maximum of 3 pages per individual poem.
- Graphic Short Stories, Credits: Include both author and artist information in your cover letter, Format: PDF files are preferred, Aesthetic: Both color or black-and-white accepted.
- Submit using the official submittable
Deadline: Nov 1, 2022
Results: Announced March 18, 2023
Prizes: Win $1,600 in prizes!