Container is an online magazine about creative technology. It explores why and how people use technology in creative ways for social and cultural purposes.
Container Magazine is now looking for content ideas for 2023. The deadline for pitching is midnight (GMT) on January 31 2023.
They will read any pitch they receive, but are particularly looking for:
Stories relating to individuals or groups of people that have been erased from dominant white Western narratives. Pitches for experimental formats, live events, video content and podcasts.
Container explores the people and processes behind creative technology, with a specific emphasis on voices, people, and perspectives outside the mainstream.
Eligibility for Container Magazine 2023
- Anyone can send in their submissions to Container Magazine, so long as it has all their requirements.
- There is no reading fee, submission is totally free.
- They want in-depth explorations of a single topic and artistic explorations of creative technology.
- Here are some topics that might interest them:
- Creative technology and its cultural uses – music, theatre, art, gaming.
- Creative tech communities – who is the community, what they are doing differently, why, and what impact does it have?
- VR and AR.
- The role of technology in the climate crisis.
- Creative technology and wellbeing, rest and mental health.
- Creative technology and data eg. from a point of view of inclusion, bias and world events.
- In the submission you should: Discuss the key points of your story (in two or three paragraphs or equivalent). Mention the key angle or driver of the piece: the issue or theme you want to address. Talk about any interviews you plan to conduct. Explain what format your content will take. If appropriate, include links and images.
- Explain why this content is right for Container.
- Introduce yourself and your relevant experience or background, including links to previously published work (if appropriate).
- Please also mention any help you feel you may need to develop the idea.
- Send your submission before midnight (GMT) on January 31, 2023.
- Content formats: They are open to whatever kind of format will work best for the idea.
- They want mid-to-longform feature articles, including investigations (2,000-3,000 words)
- Also, they want first person essays (600-1,500 words)
- They accept: illustrated articles, poetry, creative writing, photo essays, podcasts and audio content, as well as video pieces including documentary.
- Send your pitch in writing or by video to [email protected]
- £300 per 1,000 words for written articles
- £200-250 day rate for other freelance
- contributions (illustrations, event fees etc).