This great opportunity that celebrates new writers is currently accepting entries for 2018. To apply, you have to be a new writer of African citizenship whose first fiction book (over 30,000 words) was published in the last twenty four (24) months. First book refers to first printed production in book form.
Authors and their publishers can be based anywhere in the world. The winner of the Etisalat Prize for Literature receives £15,000, and a high end device. Etisalat will sponsor a book tour to three African cities. The winning writer will also embark on the Etisalat Fellowship at the University of East Anglia mentored by Professor Giles Foden (author of The Last King of Scotland) which will include significant opportunities to meet other writers, publishers and most importantly work on their second book. The Etisalat Prize for Literature is unique in that it also aims to promote the publishing industry at large and will therefore purchase 1000 copies of all shortlisted books which will be donated to various schools, book clubs and libraries across the African continent.
How to Enter
Fill and download application from here.
The application form should be submitted along with seven (7) copies of the published book to our contact address
Criteria for Entry
- Submissions will only be accepted from publishing houses
- All books entered should have a registered ISBN number or equivalent.
- Entries by new writers must be published within the last 24 months before submission
- Entries for fiction books will be submitted by publishers who have published a minimum of three (3) authors.
- Publisher should have been a registered business (with certificate of incorporation as a publisher) for minimum of three years
- Each publisher will be allowed to enter a maximum of three (3) books – however books maybe called in by the judges.
- Each entry will be required to be accompanied by Seven (7) copies of the book being entered along with acceptance of publicity terms.
Also note that the Etisalat Prize for Literature is not open to employees of any organisation under Emirates Telecommunications Corporation with branded trade name Etisalat.