The Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers is currently open for submissions. Writers who are interested in writing about feminism, tech, pop culture and activism are encouraged to apply. Who knows? You could win a spot in this highly selective three-month intensive writing fellowship.
Bitch Media co-founder, Andi Zeisler, will be directing the program.
If selected, you will have the honor of working with Bitch Media during any of the following four quarters:
- January 1 – March 30
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
What subject areas will fellows work throughout the duration of the fellowship ?:
Fellows will be working on: Sexual politics, Pop-culture criticism, Technology and Global feminism.
During the 3-month fellowships, our fellows will:
Produce a minimum of six online articles for Bitch Media in the topic area of their fellowship. These pieces can take a variety of forms: reported, analytical, advocacy-focused, and even infographic.
Produce at least one longform article to be published in the quarterly magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.
Participate in biweekly discussions (by phone or Zoom if fellows cannot meet in person) with the fellowship director and other members of the Bitch Media staff.
Receive mentorship and support in creating, shaping, and editing articles and online pieces.
Receive follow-up support with placing future articles and essays, and make great connections within the feminist-media community.
Receive a $2,000 stipend for the three-month fellowship.
- Read the Bitch Media FAQs on the submittable page. It is an important criteria.
- Write a cover letter (or statement of purpose) of a maximum 600 words. Describe your interest in the fellowships subject area of your choice.
- Your cover letter should address the following questions:
What are the topics you’re passionate about?
What are the facets and angles of this subject that you think are underreported and under-discussed elsewhere in the media?
What unique experiences and perspectives will you bring to the topic?
- A 1-2 page(s) long resume. Your resume must include among other things, your publication history if applicable. (You can still apply to a Bitch Media Writing Fellowship even if you don’t have any clips or prior publications).
- Three (3) relevant writing samples
- Short answer questions to help Bitch get to know you
- Upload your documents on the Bitch Media 2020 Fellowship for Writers Submittable Page
Who is eligible to apply for the 2020 Bitch Media Fellowships for Writers?
- Emerging writers with minimal publishing experience.
- Writers who are passionate about any of the aforementioned subject areas/topics.(especially if you don’t have a history of writing or blogging about any of these topics).
- Writers who are still trying to discover themselves.
- Fellows may be based globally, and U.S. citizenship or residence is not a criteria for the fellowship. In other words, writers from all over the world are welcome to apply.
Important fact to note:
This is not a full-time position, but an independent fellowship designed for writers who want to develop confident, well-rounded voices and are particularly interested in feminist criticism and mission-driven journalism.