Bennington Review, with its commitment to fostering literary innovation, serves as a vibrant platform for voices that challenge the norm.
Aspiring contributors are encouraged to align their submissions with the journal’s vision, embodying the spirit of “birds, not birdcages.” By adhering to the guidelines writers can find a welcoming space to showcase their groundbreaking literary endeavors.
For those eager to contribute to the landscape of contemporary literature, Bennington Review is ready to welcome your unique voice.
Submission Guidelines For Bennington Review
- Bennington Review distinguishes itself by seeking innovative, intelligent, and emotionally resonant works in various genres, including fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, and film writing.
- The essence of Bennington Review’s preferences lies in the pursuit of writing that defies traditional boundaries.
- They are drawn to pieces that push the envelope, embodying a blend of grace and audacity. Whether it’s fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, or film writing, the magazine seeks works that resonate with depth and innovation.
- While embracing unconventional and groundbreaking work, Bennington Review sets clear boundaries. They do not accept unsolicited submissions from current or recent students, faculty, or staff of Bennington College.
- Additionally, they steer away from unsolicited reviews or interviews, maintaining a focused editorial scope while remaining open to queries about genres outside their current purview.
- Submissions must be made through Submittable, and there is currently no reading fee.
- The response times for submissions vary, with the aim of responding to most submissions within five to eight months.
- The journal accepts simultaneous submissions but emphasizes the importance of immediate notification if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- They ask that writers who submit to the journal possess a familiarity with contemporary literature in the genre of their work.
- For poetry, please send no fewer than three and no more than five poems per submission.
- For fiction and creative nonfiction, please send no more than thirty pages per submission; any excerpts from a longer project must work as self-contained essays or stories.
- For film writing (and/or television writing), we are not looking for evaluative “reviews”; rather, please send essays that engage with cinema in a unique and/or personal way.
- They want writers who are aware of the greater cultural, aesthetic, and social significance of their subject, be it domestic, international, avant-garde, classic, or contemporary cinema.
- They will also consider pieces on television, video art, viral videos, Vines, or any of the other alternative forms that moving images might take. Their preferred length for film writing is ten to twenty pages.
- Bennington Review also opens its pages to translations, provided translators have permission from the copyright holder and access to the original work.
- All submitted work will be considered for the print journal; some work will additionally be featured on Bennington Review’s website.
- They acquire first North American serial rights for all accepted work.
- If you have any questions about these guidelines, please email them at [email protected].
- The journal encourages submissions from both established and emerging writers, provided they display familiarity with contemporary literature in their genre.
The submission deadline is on March 8, 2024. This window provides an opportunity for literary enthusiasts to submit their thought-provoking and boundary-pushing works for consideration.
Bennington Review compensates contributors for their work. Prose pieces of six typeset pages and under fetch $120, while those exceeding six pages receive $250.
Poets receive $25 per poem. In addition to monetary compensation, contributors receive two copies of the issue featuring their work and a copy of the subsequent one.