Entries are being invited for the 2012 edition of the Golden Boabab Prize.
The Golden Baobab Prize (GBP) is a literary award that seeks to discover, nurture, promote and celebrate promising writers of African children’s literature. Only authors who are citizens of an African state or a dual citizenship holder are qualified. There are no age limits; and no restriction on race or geographical location.
Writers below the ages of 18 years will be automatically considered for the Rising Writer Prize.
Deadline for submissions: Midnight GMT, Sunday, June 24, 2012.
Winners will be announced on the first week of November, 2012.
- Submitted stories must fall into either Category A (stories for readers aged 8-11 years) or Category B (stories for readers aged 12-15 years).
- Submission should be a work of fiction between 1,000 – 5,000 words. The category a story falls into may influence its length.
- Entries may be focus on any theme they choose. But stories must be set in Africa or have a very evident African content.
- Only submissions in English will be accepted. Entries must be original, previously unpublished work.
- Entries must be typed Microsoft word or PDF documents.
There should be a title page with the following information: Title of Story, Category and Age of entrant:
The body of the email should include the following personal information: Name; Title of story; Age of entrant; Country of citizenship; Category; Email; Phone number (country code-area code- number) and a sentence or two stating how you heard about the Golden Baobab Prize.
- Pseudonyms are not allowed. Entries must be submitted under entrant’s real name.
- Entrants may enter up to five stories.
- All entries must be the unaided work of the entrant.
- Previous entrants and winners of the Prize are eligible to enter in subsequent years.
- The title page of submissions should state the category and title of the story. All biographical information should be sent in the body of submission email.
Writers shall receive an email acknowledging the receipt of their entry. However, this acknowledgement will be sent to the submission email address.
- The Golden Baobab Prize administration reserves the right to disqualify entries that do not conform to set rules. No correspondence will be entered into in this regard.