A Long House is calling for submissions on the theme: Connections.
A Long House is an African art and literature-focused magazine which refers to itself as ‘a host of houses without walls.’
The online magazine is currently calling for submissions for their second issue. The theme of this years submission is Connections.
“In 2021, we announced Origins, our first issue at A Long House, so named to speak to our origins as Africans and black diasporic peoples, our origins beyond colonialism and slavery or other eurocentric frameworks, in which—by naming ourselves for ourselves—we inhabit the sources of our collective being. Now some two years later, we contemplate again this question of our collective being. It is a reflection that continues on from Origins, an inquiry into the lineages that carry on from our past to our future, from our forebears to our progeny. The word “lineage” offers a fruitful image—a chain—and indeed several useful words: linkage, cord, bonds, ties, kinship, relation. Out of all these comes the theme of our second issue: Connections. “
They are looking for work that engages with the theme of connections in creative and meaningful ways. Each entry should be honest, engaging, and serious, without being stiff or tedious. They also want work that is intelligent, clear, and—if you can manage it—beautiful. Learn how to write stories that stand out.
For A Long House Submission, they accept fiction, nonfiction, poetry, photography, art, illustration, audio clips, soundscapes, film, and any work that fuses, or otherwise moves creatively across these genres.
Guidelines for A Long House Submission
All submissions should be made through this Submittable Page.
- For poetry, upload 3 to 6 poems in a single document (length: not more than 120 lines for a single poem).
- For fiction, upload a story (length: 1000 to 6000 words).
- For nonfiction (which includes memoirs, travel essays, lyrical or meditative pieces, critical discourse, philosophy, writing on art, film, photography, dance, performance, or theatre), upload an essay or work of prose (length: 1000 to 6000 words).
- For art, photography, mixed media, and illustrations, upload between 5 to 10 images. Please provide a descriptive paragraph about the work in the cover letter. The paragraph should include the title, size, medium, and date.
- For audio clips, soundscapes, and film, please share a Google Drive link to the file with [email protected]. Video files should be no larger than 1GB and in MP4 format preferably. Audio files should be no larger than 100Mb and in M4A, MP3, or MP4 formats. Please include a document in the folder containing a synopsis of the work or other explanatory notes.
- All textual work should be submitted as Word documents in Times New Roman, Georgia, or Cambria 12-point font. Where necessary, you can send an accompanying PDF to show us how your work is spaced or arranged on the page, but please include a Word version for easy editing.
- Prose submissions should be double-spaced. Poetry may require special space considerations depending on form, so there are no restrictions.
- Submit only work that has not been previously published. Simultaneous submissions are fine but please withdraw your work via Submittable as soon as it is accepted elsewhere.
- They are open to answering questions on submissions and helping out where necessary via email. Reach them at [email protected].
They pay $40 for accepted poetry, and $50 for accepted prose and non-textual work.
Deadline for A Long House Submission
Submissions are open from September 1 – December 31, 2023.