The Wilbur Smith Adventure writing prize is looking for adventure stories that takes readers on a journey, one that celebrates, courage, resilience and willpower of the characters. The prize was started by the” Wilbur and Niso Smith Foundation,” which is a charity organization “dedicated to empowering young writers, the advancement of the adventure writing genre and the promotion of literacy.”
The prize is divided into two categories:
– Award for Best Published Novel
– Award for Best Unpublished Novel
General Submission Guidelines:
– All entries are to be submitted via their “Submittable” page. Visit
– The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
– For published entries, entrants may submit multiple works by the same author so long as they are published between 1st May 2018 – 30th April 2019. Proof copies are accepted.
– Entries must be submitted digitally, most preferably as a .pdf file, but could also be submitted as .epub and .mobi files.
– Submissions must exceed 50,000 words in length, an ideal length would be 75,000+ words
– For submissions for the unpublished novel category, the author must not be represented by a literary agent or have a novel published by a recognized trade publisher.
– Self-published books are also eligible.
– The judging process is blind, hence there must be no reference to the author’s name or personal details anywhere in the manuscript.
Prizes and Awards:
– For “Best Published Novel,” £15,000
– For “Best Unpublished Manuscript”, a publishing deal with Bonnier Books UK with a writer’s advance of £15,000 and the book will be published in 2020.
– Also, each of the shortlisted writers will receive three months of one-to-one manuscript development with literary consultant, David Llewelyn, to help each writer attain the standard necessary for submission to agents and publishers.
This is a fantastic opportunity for writers who are interested in making money from their writing.
1st March, 2019.
• Winners would be announced announced on 12th September, 2019.