Voyage YA Journal is currently seeking submissions of young adult short stories for its 2020 Voyage First Chapters Contest. It is also open to Adult fiction and essays or nonfiction pieces.
If you’re a seasoned writer of young adult (YA) short stories and essays, you should definitely consider submitting your work to Voyage publishing. Its 2020 Voyage First Chapters Contest promises winners a total of $3500, The editors are interested in young adult fiction YA that focus on the teen experience(s). Accepted stories will be published on the Voyage YA journal.
Here’s how the press release announced the Voyage YA First Chapters Contest.
Can you tell us a good YA story in 5,000 words or less? Send us your best YA contemporary, romance, fantasy, science fiction, genre-bender, and more! We read widely in YA, and we’re simply looking for a well-told story
Deadline for the 2020 Voyage First Chapters Contest is 1st December, 2020. And there is an entry fee of $20.
- The first place winner will get $3000 and an hour-long consultation with Literary Agent Saritza Hernandez of Andrea Brown Literary Agency. Amazing , right?
- 2nd place winner will receive $300 and publication,
- and 3rd place will receive $200 and publication
Finalists will receive written feedback from Literary Agent Saritza Hernandez
Bonus: Every entrant will receive access to a pre-recorded mini workshop on writing a synopsis with Editor and Literary Agent Kaitlyn Johnson at Belcastro Agency!
About Voyage YA Journal:
Voyage YA Journal is a new literary magazine that is dedicated to publishing short fiction and interesting essays that focus on the teenage experience. Accepted works will be published occasionally on the blog.
They are interested in works of good quality from writers of varying backgrounds, with special attention to #ownvoices.
Voyage YA Journal’s editors are: Racquel Henry (Editor in Chief) and Kip Wilson (Assistant Editor).
- Anyone from anywhere in the world writing in the English language.
There is no entry fee or deadlines for submissions for the Adult fiction, creative nonfiction and craft essays categories. The publishers of Voyage publishing pay $200 for accepted adult fiction and essays. They don’t publish poetry.
They want stories that “surprise, inspire, entertain, or enlighten.”
How to Submit to Voyage YA Journal:
- Submit a short story of up to 6000 words.
- Or a nonfiction piece of up to 6000 words.
- Your nonfiction piece could be a personal essay or a creative nonfiction piece, but it must relate to the teenage experience.
- Or a craft essay that focuses on the art of writing young adult fiction.
- The document should be double-spaced, 12 pt, Times New Roman font.
- Include your name and page number in the top right-hand corner of every page of your submission.
- All submissions must be made via the Voyage YA Journal Submittable Portal.
- There is no deadline for submission for the adult fiction and nonfiction categories. However, the Voyage YA first chapter contest will close on the 1st of December, 2020.
- The editors send out acceptances or rejections within three months.
To improve your chances of winning, read some fantastic stories that are available online. We recommended some stories here and here,. Learn how to write good short stories from TJ Benson. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie also offers some excellent writing tips HERE.
How Much Does The Voyage YA Journal Pay For Adult Fiction and Creative NonFiction Pieces?
- Voyage YA Journal pays $200 per accepted fiction or creative nonfiction piece.
- They pay $50 per accepted craft essay.