The Hektoen Journal of Medical humanities is currently accepting entries for its seventh International Grand Prix Essay Contest. All essays must be about Medicine. In the last edition, essayists were asked to write on the theme of Food and the Body. This edition is slightly different. Writers won’t be restricted to any particular theme. All that is required is that the essay should be about Medicine from the perspective of the humanities (art, history, literature or even geography. whatever you like).
You can get inspiration from essays, books and podcasts. Our list has a wide range of writing resources. Find more of these writing ideas HERE.
Read past winners too.
Prizes and Awards:
- First Prize winner will get a cash award of $2500
- The runner-up will receive a cash award of $800
- Winners will be announced on the front page of the Winter 2019 issue of the Hektoen Journal of Medical humanities.
- Essays will be published and shared widely
Rules and Guidelines:
- Participants must be at least 18 years or older
- Word Count: Essays must not exceed the 1600 word count
- Deadline for application: 15th April, 2019
- Submit only unpublished, original work that relates medicine to the humanities
- You can send multiple entries
How To Apply
- All entries must be submitted via email to: [email protected] by Friday, April 15, 2019, at 12pm Central Time. All late submissions will be disqualified.
- All inquiries should be sent to [email protected].
- Please follow their article and image guidelines, including a cover page and proper formatting of both text and images.
Don’t be in a hurry to submit. Take some time to learn to write a perfect essay,
Articles must include:
- A cover page with:
- Author(s) names, titles/degrees, professional affiliation, and location (as you would like it listed in the journal)
- A biography no longer than 100 words
- The author’s contact information
- Food and the body essay with:
- The title and page numbers in the document header
- The entire article in Times New Roman, size 12 font. Please double-space the articles. Use the Chicago manual of style (chicagomanualofstyle.org)
- References for quoted and cited material formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style or AMA Manual of Style, with the endnotes in numerical order.
Submissions must be emailed as a Microsoft Word document attachment. Edit the document title to include the author’s last name followed by the title (or abbreviated title).
For example, the article “Ancient Food Practices Of Africans” by Amandi Madu, would be saved as: Madu_AncientFoodPracticesOfAfricans.doc
Please include at least one image that complements the article being submitted. Rights to images must be acquired by the author prior to submission.
Images must be:
- High quality and saved as a .JPG
- Titled by author’s surname and short article name. Follow example used in the article formatting guidelines.