We are very delighted to announce that the Purple Hibiscus Creative Writing Trust is now receiving applications for its workshop. Now in its 10th year, the workshop, which is organized by multiple award-winning Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, will hold in Awka, Anambra State—from December 9 to December 14, 2019. Accommodation will be provided for all selected participants during the span of the workshop. At the end of the workshop, a literary evening of readings, which will be open to the public, will be held. The workshop is supported be Anambra State Government. Deadline for applications is November 6, 2019.
What Will Participants Get From Chimamanda Adichie’s Purple Hibiscus Trust Creative Writing Workshop 2019?
- You get to learn from the Queen herself and from other amazing writers.
- As a new writer, the workshop could launch your career.
- Most important is the community Chimamanda’s workshop provides. You get to be part of that community.
- And more.
How to Apply For Chimamanda Adichie’s Purple Hibiscus Trust Creative Writing Workshop 2019:
- Send a writing sample—either prose fiction or creative non-fiction—of between 200 and 800 words.
- In the body of your email, include your name, address and a brief and concise bio.
- Paste your story in the body of the email. Your applications will be disqualified if yu send it with an attachment.
- The subject of your email should be “Workshop Application”.
- Submit [email protected]
- Deadline for applications is November 6, 2019.
- All selected applicants will be notified by November 24, 2019.
Tips for those applying For Chimamanda Adichie’s Purple Hibiscus Trust Creative Writing Workshop 2019:
- Let your mind be at rest. Don’t fret.
- Choose story ideas that are very distinct and that at the same time memorable.
- Write that story that means something to you.
- The following essays will do you a world of good:
- You should also check out this article: How to Write a Good Short Story: Lessons from a Short-Story Day with TJ Benson.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Chimamanda Adichie’s Purple Hibiscus Trust Creative Writing Workshop and Answers to them:
- Workshop and Q: Is the writing sample to be pasted on the body of the email or sent as an attachment?
- A: Paste your sample in the body of the email.
- Q: Can you send a previously published work as writing sample?
- A: Yes, you can.
- Q: Who covers travel expenses for those who reside outside Nigeria?
- A: We are not sure, but you can send an inquiry to [email protected].
- Q: How should requirements be filled?
- A: Be formal. Go straight to the point. Paste your writing sample immediately after the required information (i.e. name, address, etc…)
- Q: Will submissions be acknowledged?
- A: We can’t say for sure about this year, but we know submissions will most likely be acknowledged.
- Q: What kind of stories will make Ms. Chimamanda want you in her workshop?
- A: Memorable stories. Also, stories with complex themes and rounded characters. In addition, make sure the story you are sending can be read as a standalone story.
- Q: Are there age restrictions?
- A: So far, there haven’t been age restrictions; writers of all ages are welcome to submit.
You could drop your questions in the comment box below.