The Graywolf Press Prize for African Fiction 2023 is now open. The Press is a leading independent publisher committed to the discovery and energetic publication of twenty-first century American and international literature.
The Graywolf Press Prize for African Fiction 2023 will be open from February 1st to February 28th, 2023. Do you have your first novel manuscript ready? But not sure where to send it to for publication? This Fiction Prize 2023 is for you.
The Graywolf Press African Fiction Prize is awarded for a first novel manuscript by an author primarily residing in Africa. Founded in 2017 to facilitate direct access to publishing in the United States for a new generation of African writers, the prize is awarded every other year.
The House of Rust by Khadija Abdalla Bajaber is the inaugural winner of the prize, and it will be published by Graywolf Press in October 2021. The next winner, If an Egyptian Cannot Speak English by Noor Naga, was published by Graywolf Press in April 2022.
- Submissions must be full-length, previously unpublished novel manuscripts
- Submission must either be originally written in English or a complete English translation. If the submission is a translation, the translator need not live in Africa and the original-language book may be previously published
- Agents are welcome to submit manuscripts for consideration
- Submissions should be made via Submittable
- Submission Deadline is February 28, 2023.
- Publication by Graywolf Press
- $12,000 advance.
The contest will be judged by Novelist and Essayist TSITSI DANGAREMBGA in conjunction with the Graywolf editors.