Students and young professionals who enjoy writing about nuclear power are invited to apply for the IAEA’s 2020 International Essay Competition on Nuclear Security for Students and Early Career Professionals. It’s free to enter and you could win €2000 and all expense paid trip to Vienna. The winner will get the rare opportunity to attend the AEA’s International Conference on Nuclear Security: Sustaining and Strengthening Efforts, slated to hold from 10 to 14 February, 2020.
According to Senior Nuclear Security Officer Darren Chen,
…the scientific secretary for the 2020 conference. “The conference themes may serve as an inspiration for the essays, but we welcome entries related to any nuclear security topics. We in particular encourage qualified women and authors from developing countries to participate.
Who is eligible to apply for IAEA’s 2020 International Essay Competition on Nuclear Security for Students and Early Career Professionals?
- This essay contest is open to writers from all over the globe. Entrants can be from any region or geographical location in the world.
- Entrants must be under the age of 35
- Essays can be written in any of the IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish).
Topics should be chosen from one of the following themes:
•International legally and non-legally binding instruments for nuclear security;
•Role of the IAEA in nuclear security;•National nuclear security regimes;
•Emerging technologies and the digital age;
•International cooperation in information exchange, sharing of good practices and broader experience to enhance nuclear security
How to apply for the IAEA 2020 International Essay Competition on Nuclear Security for Students and Early Career Professionals
- Only one entry per entrant is allowed.
- Write an essay that is up to 1000 words (essays must not exceed the word count. it can be less, though)
- Essays must be send as MS Word attachments.
- All submissions must be emailed to: ICONS2020@iaea.org.
- Applications must be submitted before the Submission deadline on Friday, 6 September 2019, at 11:59 p.m., Vienna Time (CET)
Email must Contain “Essay Competition 2020”_”applicant’s family name” in the subject line- E.g. Essay Competition 2020_Okonkwo
•Have the essay as an attachment in MS Word format
•Include the following information in the body of the e-mail:
1. Applicant’s first and last name as in the passport:
2. Title (Mr/Ms):
4. If a student, enrolled programme (bachelors, Masters, PhD)5. Country of passport:
Prize and awards
Three finalists will be announced on the 31st of October 2019.
Each of the three finalists will be awarded 2000 Euros
the finalists will receive flight tickets, accommodation and daily living expenses to attend and present their essays at ICONS 2020 side event in Vienna, Austria (10-14 February 2020). The winning essays will be posted on the IAEA Conference Website .
Forward all inquiries to: ICONS2020@iaea.org